Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Slope Pics

Looking for an apartment
    Ah yes, Roundtop. I skied there many times when I was living in NOVA (Northern Virginia). Brings back some memories.

My first (actually, only...) entanglement with safety netting occurred here on upper Ramrod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Princess View Post

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the compliments guys. It was a fun little project and I am so glad to share my home mountain with you.
    Kevin, do tell. I would love to hear your story. Sounds funny!

Looking for an apartment
    Thanks for the compliments guys. It was a fun little project and I am so glad to share my home mountain with you.
    Kevin, do tell. I would love to hear your story. Sounds funny!
    It's not that much of a story. In my youth I tried skiing (emphasis on tried...) Ramrod. This was back in the 90s on 195's or something like that. At any rate, I probably got 3/4ths of the way through the turn (i.e., more or less pointed across the hill) and hit the safety netting before I was able to regain balance and attempt making another turn. I wasn't going fast enough to get really tangled up in it, although I probably had to extract a pole / ski tip or two before heading on my way.

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    And then there's Gunbarrel. It is a single black on the bottom and a double black on top. And when it has no snow on it like right now, the top is even more difficult to ski! (the top is actually closed)Attachment 1019I have been told by a very unofficial source that Gunbarrel's headwall is the steepest man made slope on the East Coast. Whether or not that is true, I have absolutely no idea but I will tell you what I do know for sure; when I look over the edge from the summit, it sure feels that way to me!And we have an attachment of Upper Ramrod that snuck in. I guess it's only fitting - attachments sneaking in at the beginning with the greens and then at the end with the double blacks!
    Feb 21, 2012

Hi BP:

Great job in introducing the joys of Rountop to Village Residents.

You are not far from incorrect about Gunbarrel. It is steep for about 150 feet (probably 5-4 medium radius turns?). Maybe with the "man made" qualifier, it is probably the steepest on the East Coast. But again, what is "man made"? See following comparison with other famous East Coast "steeps" (all degrees given for steepest pitch):

Goat (Stowe) 33.6º
    Paradise (Mad River Glen) 32.5º

Upper Gunbarrel (Ski Roundtop) 31.6º

Two kids straight lining Gunbarrel from 100 ft off the peak:

Gunbarrel (Heavenly) 31.6º

Note the "cat track" at times 1:07:1:17. Only green trail down the California side of the mountain (I think, well at least when I was there a few years back). In a video of 3 minutes duration, not seeing EVEN ONE skier coming down the bumps, tells me one thing. Rock HARD bumps that day or First chair.

Starr (Stowe) 31.1º

Racing on Exhibition (note the start at the TOP of exhibition, NOT at the Start Shack. The Start Shack is about 1/4 of the way down. Starting at the top, adds about another 300-400 feet of "course length", not vertical drop).

[COLOR=#181818][FONT=arial]

Jeff Beinhaur, director of Ski Roundtop's Skier Competition Service (seen at times 36:38 seconds, gray vest, black shirt with black crossing shortwave radio harness), is the driving force in maintaining Roundtop as the premier race (NASTAR, Citizen, Club, etc) mountain in Pa. Diann Roffe will put in an appearance now and again.

Note the "setting of the course at time 2:31, where the racer knocks down the blue gate and DNF. Starting from the prior "Yellow" gate, Yellow, Blue, Yellow, Blue is where the race is won or lost. That is the section which will "bleed speed" for lesser racers. Know it well, since I've bleed many a many knots of speed. Also note the racer in Gold at times 1:16:1:24, is that racer a good example of a "heavier" racer having an advantage? Or is it just good racing/skiing technique?

Indeed Gunbarrel is with very respectable company.

Think snow,

SCR
    Last edited by CharlieP; February 21st, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana

Blog Entries
    Great videos CP. Thank you for posting them. Where is this Gunbarrel? Where is it in California? It looks really hard.

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    Great videos CP. Thank you for posting them. Where is this Gunbarrel? Where is it in California? It looks really hard.
    Feb 21, 2012

Hi BP:

Heavenly Resort, California has the BEST, I mean the BEST views of Lake Tahoe. I'll let go into detail, since she is native to CA and calls Lake Tahoe her "home area".

As for Gunbarrel (Heavenly), it is often quoted as one of North America's more difficult trails, because of the steepness, length as well as the bumps. There is no "bail out" route, once you get start down the slippery slope. The cat track which I mention is actually a "blue" not "green" and it is indeed the only "more" easy slope down from mid-mountain on the California side. It's called "Round About" (I think).

Think snow,

SCR
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar
    BP - Great project showing off Round Top. Thanks for posting all of that!

Yes, the video CP posted is for the Gunbarrel run at Heavenly. It wouldn't surprise me to know it's one of North America's steepest trails. It's on the California side of Heavenly, facing Lake Tahoe. Heavenly, in general, is known for very scenic (and crowded) terrain. Heavenly, Kirkwood and Sierra at Tahoe are located on the south shore of Lake Tahoe. I tend to do most skiing at the north shore resorts which include Alpine Meadows, Northstar, Sugar Bowl and Squaw. Have to drive 4 1/2 hours or so, but once there lucky to have quite a bit of opportunity to ski!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    It's not that much of a story. In my youth I tried skiing (emphasis on tried...) Ramrod. This was back in the 90s on 195's or something like that. At any rate, I probably got 3/4ths of the way through the turn (i.e., more or less pointed across the hill) and hit the safety netting before I was able to regain balance and attempt making another turn. I wasn't going fast enough to get really tangled up in it, although I probably had to extract a pole / ski tip or two before heading on my way.
    Awe, I feel for you. At least you got out of it! It can feel quite narrow up there when you are new at it!

Blog Entries
    Twilight shots I took from the tops of Powderhorn and Drummer Boy.

Name:  100_0122.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  100_0131.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  100_0123.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  100_0130.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  82.9 KB