Thread: Telluride Questions

Telluride Questions

Hi everyone! My wife and I have a chance to join some friends at Telluride for a few days the first part of April, and we're looking for some input on the resort. Our group will range in age from 50 to around 70, and most of the skiers are going to be most comfortable on beginner/intermediate runs, although a few of us would seek out powder or more challenging runs. Can we expect a good variety of terrain there? What kind of snow can we expect? How does the hill compare to Steamboat or Winter Park? Any great restaurants (steaks, etc) that anyone could recommend? It sounds like lodging is set for us somewhere on the hill, so I don't need to worry about that. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations. JDH

Blog Entries
    Hi JDH,

It's been several years since I've had the pleasure of skiing T'ride. Hopefully someone will stop by and fill in the blanks that I'll leave. I didn't do too much skiing on the greens and blues while I was there but I do remember some nice wide, mellow runs looker's right as you stand in Mountain Village looking up at the hill. Perhaps some orientation is in order.... there are two population centers. First, the town of Telluride is right at the base of the mountain. The runs that come down to the town look pretty intimidating for the most part but iirc there's an easy way down and the option to down load on the gondola. The gondola will take you up to Mountain Village where you will find plenty of shops, restaurants, condos, hotel and the like. Of course, the same can be said of the town.

IMO, Winter Park/Mary Jane is generally a steeper, more challenging resort than Steamboat. Telluride is another couple of degrees further in that direction (steeper and more challenging). It's also quite large so I doubt you'll have any problem finding terrain to please everyone in your group. I don't really recall a good variety of challenge all from one lift and back to a common point. Maybe someone with better local knowledge will chime in on this point.

There are lots of restaurants in the town as well, many striving to satisfy very discerning diners. Hopefully you'll find one that you think is great!

IMO the SW corner of CO is the most beautiful place I've ever visited and this year they've been getting and keeping the best snow in CO. I sure can't say how it will be in a couple of weeks but it sounds like a decent bet to me.

If some in your group are looking for a unique challenge, consider a side trip to Silverton.
    http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home.

Have fun, and be sure to let us know how you liked it
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Freaq,
    Thanks. So to get from town to the Mountain Village (as in when we arrive with all of our suitcases) do we have to go up the gondola, or can one drive from town to the mountain village?

Blog Entries
    I've always stayed in town so I'm not 100% sure.... but I think you can drive. I do know that there are a bunch of high zoot homes in bounds above MV. I'm sure the owners can drive to those, so at least most of the infra-structure exists.
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Home Sweet Home Snow Sport Instructor Lars's Avatar
    My younger years had me skiing Teluride quite a bit but not in the last 20 years or so.

I can tell you they have had their share of snow this year and the ski area is famous for black and double black steep runs, not for it's blues and greens.

Not much help I know.
    all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools

Everyone, thanks for the responses. This is turning out to be a last minute trip, and your input has been very helpful. If the trip happens, with these friends the quality of the meals, wine and time together will be of far more importance than the quality of skiing. And in the end, I think that's the way it should be. (I'm still looking for a recommendation for a really off-the-charts FUN restaurant either in the Mountain Village or in Telluride. Great steaks, martini with blue cheese olives, etc.).

Thanks again -- and I hope everyone is catching a few late season days before resorting to yard work.
    JDH