Thread: Non-ski vacation southern California mid-April

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor

Non-ski vacation southern California mid-April

Leaving for an eight-day family vacation in southern California in 1.5 weeks. Four days staying an Anaheim. Might drive to the LA area for activities from Anaheim during they day one or two day. Didn't want to bother changing hotels for a couple days we have reason to stay in Orange county. Then we're driving to San Diego and will be staying there for four days. We'll probably do a few of the theme parks like Disneyland, LegoLand, etc. Probaby the SD Zoo and/or Animal Park.

We've been in that area a couple times before but don't know everything there is to do.

Suggestions welcome.

-l2t

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
    Leaving for an eight-day family vacation in southern California in 1.5 weeks. Four days staying an Anaheim. Might drive to the LA area for activities from Anaheim during they day one or two day. Didn't want to bother changing hotels for a couple days we have reason to stay in Orange county. Then we're driving to San Diego and will be staying there for four days. We'll probably do a few of the theme parks like Disneyland, LegoLand, etc. Probaby the SD Zoo and/or Animal Park.

We've been in that area a couple times before but don't know everything there is to do.

Suggestions welcome.

-l2t
    I LOVE San Diego (first vacation with Henry). You already have San Diego Zoo listed (love that place especially hippo exhibit). Also enjoyed animal parks and Sea World. If you have any interest in art museums, I used to go to the Norton Simon in Pasadena all the time (went to grad school at USC) and always wanted to see
    the one in Malibu (have to arrange in advance). There is the Garment District in LA (personally, at this point in time, that would seem more like work to me) but various forms of lower than retail designer clothing is available. When we were in Minnesota (where Henry is from), he showed me around Univ Minnesota which I really enjoyed. USC and UCLA are interesting. USC is known as a rich kid's school (note I had a full fellowship both years of grad school) but it's in the middle of Watts (not a good idea after dark). A lot of it is used for backdrops in movies (the library in particular). UCLA is by contrast in an upscale neighborhood.

When I go somewhere and I want to ensure I don't miss something spectacular, I check the Frommer guidebooks (they have a site online also).

Well we just got back last night (at 2:30AM thanks to a broken door on a 757). Some stuff we did--

Santa Monica pier, touristy but fun. We want to rent bikes and pedal down to Venice but it was way to cold in window.
    Drive through Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Stopped to take picks of star sidewalk and such. Again, touristy but fun.
    Le Brea Tar Pits, LA County Art Museum, Olvera St.
    Two days at Disneyland and Disney's CA Adventure.
    Drive down the coast to San Diego, stopped at La Jolla for lunch, the Scripps aquarium and wandered around the beach and shops.
    Sea World.
    Balboa Park, checked out the gardens, art colony, and some a museum or two.
    SD Zoo.

Couldn't nearly do everything we could have in LA/Anaheim and SD.

-l2t

There's never enough time, is there? Sounds like you covered it pretty thoroughly though! I love those animal parks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winks View Post
    There's never enough time, is there? Sounds like you covered it pretty thoroughly though! I love those animal parks!!
    No kidding. Things we didn't do that I would like to if we had another week is the other Animal Park in SD, a few more of the museums at Balboa park and I would like to have done one or both of the light/fountain shows at Disneyland, we were there from 9:00AM-7:45PM two days and were just to exhausted to stay until 10:30.

-l2t

Sounds like you maxed out! Hard to enjoy something when you're that tired! Don't think I've seen things you guys missed, except for light shows-- those are neat (but I don't know that I'd make a special trip just to see them). It's been many years since I was there.