Thread: Welcome Hacski

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar

Talking Welcome Hacski

Hacski
    It is a pleasure to have you here

Another from downunder...

I bet it is there atm!

Thanks LT. I saw the thread before but thought it was a PM from you so this would be be my first post. Right at the moment, i.e. mid afternoon, its rather mild and I was outside in a T pulling out the dead annuals from the garden beds so I could spread some stuff around getting ready for spring. Pretty heavy frosts first thing in the mornings though. I had two days on the slopes in early season conditions but will wait for the next decent fall and until after school hols before heading back.

Oh good! Although early season is tough!

Yep forget about school holidays unless you love crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tiger View Post
    Hacski. Another from downunder...
    Strewth, to the Abbreviations we'll need to add Translations like "lucked out means I was lucky", "takeout" means I hired a hit man', and that sort of thing.

How about an online edition of "They're a weird mob" for other to understand the aussies?

One North American term I have adopted is vacation in lieu of holiday. As I understand it a baron would allow his serfs a day off working his fields on religious holy days, hence the term holiday. However vacation better captures the sense of what happens on a skiing vacation: ones mind is emptied of all the day to day concerns of home and the boss at back at work.

Yes Hacski - we had fun in Europe with "Holidays"... I was chatting in the youth hostel to one of the local swiss guys and his son. I asked them why everything in town was closed and he told me a (I thought) holiday. When we asked what the 'holiday' was for he told me "Christ im himmel fahrt(sp????)". We suddenly realised it was Ascension Day. We laughed and explained we have holidays for horse races. I believe I had translated Holy Day to holiday being just a pleb aussie tourist.