Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to Drill

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    I would also advise going through the drills in their entirety especially the Basic Edging and Balance. Then move to the rest . The first ones are great for getting the feel of the snow, your skis and your balance. I do them at the beginning of the year also after a sort out run or two . It's good to redefine your balance on skis as a refresher which can be used with the edging drills to make them more interesting.

Diligence begets rewards for your good work. Drill, boy ,drill !!

Finally got back to the slopes today but was disappointed, demoralised even. MrsH's fitness told so we left at lunch time. One thing I did realise was I need to review the DVD and then take the card with me to the slopes. What made me realise that was when I couldn't sense any difference in how I felt doing the Basic Balance knee bends and the forward pumps so will watch the DVD again. Normally I'd take the notebook and review the DVD in the car before heading to the lifts but MissH has it packed ready for her upcoming 10 week trip to Europe.

I hope I can pump up my enthusiasm but overall the morning still proved effective as MrsH tried out some newer skis (K2 Superfrees) and noticed she could turn so much easier. I took some video of her and will put it in the private MA area for the coaches to check out. She will try some others over the next few weeks.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    That sound good for Mrs H

Sorry you felt bad

I remember those frustrating days way too clearly - bumps still make me feel that way... I have very clear memories of days when it felt like everyone was talking Japanese or Arabic or my body just refused to cooperate and repeat that elusive movement that I'd done just ONCE two days ago...

Hang in - it gets better I promise!

Thanks LT. It wasn't just the going nowhere with my skiing feeling. Jeff's new boots which while snug in CO back here, with the warmer temps making my feet a bit larger, were very painful after a few hours and even tonight six hours after taking the boots off the feet are still sore. Plus a whole lot of things like life events for adult children, visting my friend who lost her husband making me question priorities, only just getting over jet lag from the rushed trip to Chicago and UK all robbed me of motivation. The crowded slopes didn't help.

Next on the schedule is a day at Thredbo the weekend after next, a day there during the week following that (prob Aug 1st) and then the weekend after that a day at Thredbo and another back at PB and I shall certainly be doing the drills but better prepare by re-viewing the DVD a few times.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry you are having a tough time H. It will get better, the season is still young.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Hi Hacski. Sorry you had a rough go. Sounds like a cumulating of frustrations, both on and off the slopes. That's a formula for a vicious cycle, where the distress from one dilemma can accentuate the perceived level of frustration with the other. My decades on coaching have taught me that the mental side of achievement has just as much (if not more) influence on outcome as the physical component.

Let's start at square one. Sorry to hear about the boot issues. Is it pressure points, or just general overall tightness? I'll drop a line to Jeff, and see if we can get him to chime in with suggestions. In lieu of that, make sure your socks are ultra thin. I use nylon dress socks. Also, while at home I'd try wearing them for periods of time to try to pack them out again to my newly expanded foot, before heading to the slopes again.

As to the knee bends vs front pumps issue. If your feet are killing you it would have been more difficult to sense the fine pressure/balance sensations between the two. Hopefully you'll be able to sort the boot issues out some before your next venture to the snow. Here's what to shoot for and look for with those two drills.

In knee bends your weight should remain centered balanced. Try to keep equal weight on the balls and heels of your feet at all times, all the way down as you flex, and all the way up as you extend. Flex as deeply as you can, dropping down as low as possible, and then extend into a very tall stance, all the while remaining center balanced.

Front pumps are very different. You're not trying to flex/bend down low, you're simply trying to drive your weight into the front cuff of your boots, and in doing so hyper load the front of your skis. You do it by aggressively moving your entire body forward, and driving your shins onto the tongue of your boots. As you do, flex your ankles and knees, and really try to bent the boot shell. If you've not moved your body/weight far enough forward, you'll not bend the boots much at all. Your weight has to be well forward, up on the balls of your feet, to do this successfully. Done correctly, you'll feel the tips of the skis dig into the snow, and bend and turn aggressively. And you'll feel the tails of the skis lighten and even skid out to the side. Done to the extreme you may even feel the tails of the skis start to lift off the snow. Don't hold that position though. The drill requires you to just achieve it, then quickly return back to being center balanced in an athletic stance. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Thanks too BP and CR.

It is not all bad CR, one thing going well at the moment is work (shock horrors) and as to skiing MrsH did enjoy some newer skis (and was relieved to hear you were OK after your own travails. It was intriguing to observe one's own feelings. The snow as very hard packed as it had rained solid last Friday and frozen up really hard with grooming and manmade providing a half inch of looser stuff on top. A cold wind and cloud cover meant it didn't soften either so the groomed blues were ideal for some fast runs but I had no desire to go off as I might have once done instead preferring to potter with MrsH, just doing the drills while she did her demo-ing.

Special thanks for the elaboration on the drills CR. With that and a few rewatchings of the DVDs I hope to differentiate between the knee bends and forward pumps next time. I think going to Thredbo will help too, a comment LT would agree with.

I emailed Jeff about the two specific problem areas with the boots but feel I will need the local ski store guy (who used to be a racer on the Oz team) to do some heat work and asked Jeff's opinion on that, outlining the two main areas. I think Jeff had an inkling they could have done with some heat work in Colorado but we just didn't have the time last February.

Maybe my next drills will be sooner. Jeff quickly responded in the affirmative this morning our time and the local guy had the right equipment (i.e.convection oven) to customise the shell, which Jeff hadn't the time to get to and he squeezed me in. He also pointed out that as yesterday I was on a much harder surface than when I skied in the boots before that would have magnified the effect of boots not yet adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by daveski7 View Post
    Nice review Hacski, they sound like fun and I am glad you like them. Just one bit of advice, hold onto your Blizzards, at some point you might go a stretch without fresh snow and you will wish you still had them. New skis are awesome but when conditions get rock hard and icy, those front side carvers can't be replaced. ... Enjoy, Dave
    You know I wish I'd remembered this post from Dave last year - in response to my review of my then new Salomon Lords. The Blizzards would have been the ticket last Wednesday. The slopes were rock hard all morning and past lunch - which is unusual here as rock hard normally means frozen overnight but softening by mid morning but there was thick cloud cover that day. The Blizzards are very cambered and the spring would have been much kinder underfoot. I'm going to have another day tomorrow with a mate, just to have some fun at Thredbo, LT's "home" hill. Both sets of skis are in the car and I figure on starting on the Blizzards and then switch as the surface softens up.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Don't forget - the lines on the map are just the marked trails... stay high if it gets slushy...

High Noon is a great morning warm up... True Blue and Little Beauty are awesome... hunt the snow conditions and enjoy!

Oh and please avoid all trees