Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Posting issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Posting issues

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    July 27, 2012

Hi Villagers:

Lazy, Hazy Crazy days of summer and I'm too lazy to start a new thread, so I'll do what I usually do in these situations and start a "thread drift". I've been thinking about posting this movie for awhile now and this "lull" in "technical" posting seems to be a good time to post it and see what other thoughts, movies, stories this will lead us to.

This "anti-war" movie made in 1967, stars Anthony Quinn, as a simple Romanian peasant and a beautiful not so well known actress Virna Lisi as his wife

Name:  Virna Lisi.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  9.5 KB

in "The 25th Hour", produced by Italian producer Carlo Ponti and directed by french director Henri Verneuil.

Following is a short description of the movie "lifted from the internet":

http://damncool.com/2010/11/28/the-25th-hour-1967/

Johann Moritz(Anthony Quinn) lives in a small village in Romania with his
    loving wife. Local police sergeant has Moritz sent to a work camp as a Jew, so
    he can try and sleep with his wife. After a couple of years he escapes with a
    group of Jews to Hungry. They go on to America, but he has to stay because he’s
    not Jewish. Then he arrested and sent to a German work camp, in the camp he is
    deemed part of the Aryan race and enlisted as an Waffen SS soldier. After
    helping the prisoners in the work camp escape, he is placed in an America prison camp
    and prosecuted as a war criminal.

Moritz has nothing but trouble in his life, yet he always seems to find the
    bright side. He’s simple yet, he always finds a way to cope with all his
    misfortune. The movie started a little slow, but soon had me fully invested. No
    warm fuzzy here, just man mistreating man.

Based on true events, worth a watch (MR and Villagers: Didn't check this out with "snopes" though).

In another thread: You will not get rich spending the few dollars to purchase this video but you will be rich for owning it.

I am attaching the following video which is the conclusion of this movie. Remember, this guy has been separated from his wife and suffered in Nazi concentration/work camp and US prisoner of war camps for 8 years. When he left home, he had two boy, one about 2 yrs old, the other a baby. His wife welcomes him at the train station with three kids. The youngest a 2-3 year old blonde girl who is the product of her being raped by Russian Soldiers. Two touching points, knowing that the young blonde child could not be his, he still warmly hugs her at the meeting, testifying to the decency and kindness of this simple man who has suffered so much. At the very very end of the film, he tries to smile for the photographer, but he just can't bring himself do it. His forced smile is a bitter grimace. (The photographer is such an A$$Hole, I just wanted to kill him when I first watched this movie maybe 30-35 years ago). I was moved and touched by this movie in a way that I've rarely been since.

SCR

ps: from the internet:

The finest and most memorable sequence in the film is the final one with Anthony Quinn and Virna Lisi trying to smile. The father carrying a daughter born out his wife's rape by Russians is a story in itself but the director is able to show the reconciliation by a simple gesture--the act of carrying the child without slipping into melodramatic footage.
    Last edited by CharlieP; July 27th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Ahrrrrrrrrrr, long reply lost by my hand or the Gods of Internets, Machines and Such when submitting. I am assuming it was operator error as is usual. That is all.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    July 27, 2012

Hi Villagers:

Lazy, Hazy Crazy days of summer and I'm too lazy to start a new thread, so I'll do what I usually do in these situations and start a "thread drift". I've been thinking about posting this movie for awhile now and this "lull" in "technical" posting seems to be a good time to post it and see what other thoughts, movies, stories this will lead us to.

This "anti-war" movie made in 1967, stars Anthony Quinn, as a simple Romanian peasant and a beautiful not so well known actress Virna Lisi as his wife

Name:  Virna Lisi.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  9.5 KB

in "The 25th Hour", produced by Italian producer Carlo Ponti and directed by french director Henri Verneuil.

Following is a short description of the movie "lifted from the internet":

http://damncool.com/2010/11/28/the-25th-hour-1967/

Johann Moritz(Anthony Quinn) lives in a small village in Romania with his
    loving wife. Local police sergeant has Moritz sent to a work camp as a Jew, so
    he can try and sleep with his wife. After a couple of years he escapes with a
    group of Jews to Hungry. They go on to America, but he has to stay because he’s
    not Jewish. Then he arrested and sent to a German work camp, in the camp he is
    deemed part of the Aryan race and enlisted as an Waffen SS soldier. After
    helping the prisoners in the work camp escape, he is placed in an America prison camp
    and prosecuted as a war criminal.

Moritz has nothing but trouble in his life, yet he always seems to find the
    bright side. He’s simple yet, he always finds a way to cope with all his
    misfortune. The movie started a little slow, but soon had me fully invested. No
    warm fuzzy here, just man mistreating man.

Based on true events, worth a watch (MR and Villagers: Didn't check this out with "snopes" though).

In another thread: You will not get rich spending the few dollars to purchase this video but you will be rich for owning it.

I am attaching the following video which is the conclusion of this movie. Remember, this guy has been separated from his wife and suffered in Nazi concentration/work camp and US prisoner of war camps for 8 years. When he left home, he had two boy, one about 2 yrs old, the other a baby. His wife welcomes him at the train station with three kids. The youngest a 2-3 year old blonde girl who is the product of her being raped by Russian Soldiers. Two touching points, knowing that the young blonde child could not be his, he still warmly hugs her at the meeting, testifying to the decency and kindness of this simple man who has suffered so much. At the very very end of the film, he tries to smile for the photographer, but he just can't bring himself do it. His forced smile is a bitter grimace. (The photographer is such an A$$Hole, I just wanted to kill him when I first watched this movie maybe 30-35 years ago). I was moved and touched by this movie in a way that I've rarely been since.

SCR

ps: from the internet:

The finest and most memorable sequence in the film is the final one with Anthony Quinn and Virna Lisi trying to smile. The father carrying a daughter born out his wife's rape by Russians is a story in itself but the director is able to show the reconciliation by a simple gesture--the act of carrying the child without slipping into melodramatic footage.
    Charlie ,this is another amazing post. However I am found to wonder what it has to do with posting problems. Keep 'em coming CP

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Shall we just label thread drift as unconditional fun?

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    Shall we just label thread drift as unconditional fun?

CR please note I want a fur lined helmet

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    I like the leather collar.
    ...and the pink interior.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    yep - looks fun!

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just a question. I am wondering why the Skier Village ski school and BB discussion posts never show up in the recent posts sidebar.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now for an actual problem. Every now and then I get this 403 error, apparently MR has had it too. It is absolutely infuriating and I am wondering if anyone knows what that is about.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BP, what browser and OS are you using? I'm Windows 8 and IE 10.