Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surgery for my pup

Surgery for my pup

Our rescue Australian Shepherd mix had to go under the knife Thursday for removal of mammary tumors. Turned out to be severe. She is doing well and is expected to make a full recovery. It's nearly a full-time job preventing her from messing with the wound.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's quite an incision! UL, Sadie and I all send our best wishes and lots of virtual dog cookies to you guys! Keep us posted on her progress!

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Wow, SF, that was major indeed. Best wishes to your girl, please give her a pat and piece of bacon from me. Do you have the head gear for her that can keep her from getting to the incision? There are two types I've seen/used. One is hard plastic, and looks like a lamp shade. The narrow end of the shade goes around her neck, and the large end of the shade then extends out past her nose. It works well, but it impedes the dogs vision to the side, and they find it a bit uncomfortable to wear. There's another type I like better. It's shaped more like a donut, and also goes around their neck. It's soft, a cordura shell filled with foam. It doesn't offer quite the amount of absolute protection the lamp shade type does, but if it offers enough for your girl she would find it much more comfortable to wear, and would not limit her peripheral vision.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lots of love to your pup. My friend's cocker spaniel had a similar surgery and insicion and I put the bandage on him and then put their little daughter's Tshirt on him over the bandage. That kept him from picking at the wound and messing with it and he was very comfortable. The family thought it was so cute they put her shorts on him too. He loved it and he was the most stylin' pup at camp! You could probably fit a toddler tshirt on her and put a little bandage padding under it. Or if you need it to be longer you can use a little dress. That should work well. It should be tight enough that she does not pull it up but comfortable enough to not restrict and blood flow or range of motion. The vet thought it was brilliant and it worked well. And you could paint her nails too and she'll think she went to the spa and on a shopping spree!
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; September 9th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Get better soon little girl, there are places to run. Does she have a favorite toy to distract and keep her busy with?

Daisy likes your new racing stripe. thinks it will make you look really fast.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

Thank you all for your kind and positive thoughts. She is doing well.

Last evening she took off after a rabbit and after about 10 feet and a stern 'no' from me she gave up (usually keeps chasing). No running, jumping or playing for another week or so.

I thought I had a lampshade collar in the basement so I did not get one from the vet. I can't find it so I will go get something that will work tomorrow.

I'll give BP's suggestion a try.

She does not want her tennis ball but seems OK otherwise. While sedated we had her teeth cleaned, they did a fantastic job. It might be why she rejects the ball. She does want to chase the cat whenever he baits her into it though, a good sign.

Only 150 bucks for her radical mastectomy. Makes me wonder how much it costs for a human.
    Last edited by Snowfan; September 9th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's so good to hear that she is running around. Her teeth are probably a little sensitive from the cleaning. Keep us posted on how she does and let her know we love her.

Thanks BP. She is wearing a Nascar t-shirt now and we are headed out to check the cattle, her favorite job.

Blog Entries
    That is awesome. She must be so adorable in that. Please post a picture! I am so glad to be able to help her so that she can enjoy her recovery as much as possible. The shirt also helps keep dirt out of the scar as it heals. Keep us posted on her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Princess View Post
    That is awesome. She must be so adorable in that. Please post a picture! I am so glad to be able to help her so that she can enjoy her recovery as much as possible. The shirt also helps keep dirt out of the scar as it heals. Keep us posted on her progress.
    She is recovering nicely, no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images