Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Inside Hip Drive discussion - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Hip Drive discussion

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Rick View Post
    Just found this clip in another thread, provided by Jamt, and it's a great example of the negative effects on arc to arc transition introduced by "skiing into counter", as I described in my prior post. In the following turns the demonstrators are "skiing into counter". They're keeping their upper body facing down the falline through the transition. Upon first look many would classify these turns as arc to arc carved short turns, but they're not. In the slow mo segments you can clearly see the top of the turn pivot while the skis are light, followed by hard pressure and carving after the pivot has taken place. It's what allows them to make these short, dynamic turns on the relatively low edge angles they're employing. Have a look:

Rick, would these turns work on ice in a slalom course?

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor
    Originally Posted by LiquidFeetI'll add one more though into this conversation. Driving the new inside hip forward and up does not mean the new inside FOOT goes forward. It stays back. The hip and shoulder and arm above it go up and forward; the foot does not. That inside ski needs its tip to dig into the snow; it won't happen if the foot goes forward along with the hip. Keeping that foot back while driving that hip forward and up is a complex move; it doesn't come intuitively. The foot wants to go forward along with the hip. You gotta work at separating the upper inside half from the lower inside half in whatever this plane is.

Do you experts with more experience than me agree?
    That's spot on.
    How do you keep the inside hip up, especially in the finish part of the turn? What drives the inside hip forward without the inside foot also advancing?

Rick do you have clips of your own skiing shot from directly downhill where we cannot see the front sides of both hips in the top part of the turn. ie early counter?

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So this is all new to me because I see what you're describing Rick as Outside Hip drive. To me the inside hip on a left turn is the let hip, and my read of your post above is that during the left turn it is the right hip that should be driven forward and up.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    So this is all new to me because I see what you're describing Rick as Outside Hip drive. To me the inside hip on a left turn is the let hip, and my read of your post above is that during the left turn it is the right hip that should be driven forward and up.
    Notice, Steve, where I say "downhill" hip in explaining which is the inside hip. It begins at the start of the transition, and at that time it will be the downhill hip you are driving, which will be the outside hip of the turn you're finishing, and the inside hip of the turn you're about to begin.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Don't forget SMJ that you are doing this as you transition into the turn from the turn prior to it. So it is the INSIDE hip from the new turn but the old OUTSIDE hip from that prior turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    How do you keep the inside hip up, especially in the finish part of the turn?
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

You try to keep the inside hip high, and the pelvis level. In reality, as you reach higher edge angles it will not be level, but it will be significantly more level than the legs. Better stated, it needs to be more level than the legs if you're to angulate properly.

Name:  InsideLift,Web.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  36.5 KB

www.YourSkiCoach.com

What drives the inside hip forward without the inside foot also advancing?
    The new inside foot will advance, it has to. You simply try to limit it to the least amount necessary. Create the new counter by driving the new inside hip, and the foot gets dragged forward by that action, only the most minimum amount it has to. Inside foot lead will be the result, not the goal, and it will be held to only necessary levels, dictated by how much range of dorsiflexion capacity you have in your ankle, and how much the stiffness of your boots will allow you to to exploit that range.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Rick do you have clips of your own skiing shot from directly downhill where we cannot see the front sides of both hips in the top part of the turn. ie early counter?
    I'll have a look and see what I can find.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    Rick, would these turns work on ice in a slalom course?
    Yes, absolutely. It's done all the time on the WC. It's called anticipation pivoting. Show me a transition image of a racer, captured at edge angle neutral, and I'll be able to tell you if what follows is going to be a pivot, or an arc to arc transition, all by how their upper body is facing in relation to the falline and skis.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

You try to keep the inside hip high, and the pelvis level. In reality, as you reach higher edge angles it will not be level, but it will be significantly more level than the legs. Better stated, it needs to be more level than the legs if you're to angulate properly.

Name:  InsideLift,Web.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  36.5 KB
    This nicely says what is desired but it doesn't say how you achieve keeping the inside hip up. Very few skiers keep their inside hip up during the finish of a turn. Why?