Thread: If you thought your race days was bad...

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar

If you thought your race days was bad...

...then here's a place to share in your grief (or find cruel levity in others' misfortune - yeah, we all do, admit it!).

http://slalomtokyodrift.blogspot.com/ - a.k.a. "How To Ski Slalom Like An Ace"

Yes, it's a blog that has one mission: finding the cruel folly in ski racing crashes. If you've ever raced in the gates, you've had your fair share of mishaps: crashes, losing a ski, sliding out, et al. This blog (which I found via Warner Nickerson's Twitter feed) contains pictures and film that immortalize these moments, both from amateur racing sources and the more pro ranks of the World Cup.

Note that most all of these crashes are innocuous, resulting in more ego bruising than anything else.

Yes, this forum is usually a place where race technique and results are pondered. But sometimes, it's necessary to dwell and revel in the mishaps and folly. Warren Miller did it in his films, so....

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The WheelBarrow shot was pretty incredible. I liked the water hazard, too.

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    Nov 27, 2012

Hi Village Racers:

The picture of "Nothing beats flossing with B-net", reminds me of the time many moons ago (I think 15), when a racer on my daughter's race club, skied (NOT raced) into some plastic orange fencing (you know the kind about 4 feet high, in rolls, used to mark the edge of a trail, lift corrals). He got so tangled in the web that the coaches had to cut the plastic to get him out. He looked like a "fish in a net". The strange thing was that the whole club of about 50 racers had skied passed the webbing without anyone getting caught. That includes J5s. And he as a J2 skies right into it. At least, no physical injuries, just to the pride though.

Think snow,

SCR
    Last edited by CharlieP; November 27th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana

^ I will confess that in Whitetail's opening season I went straight into their SLOW sign, double heel ejected, did a somersault, landed on my back 30 feet past the sign.

In my defense, the guns were going.

(and I just scared the living daylights out of myself by noticing that that was 22 years ago.)