Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wonder From Down Under

I like Kookaburras as going back to being a kid in the country two stories were told about them (probably urban myths): they laughed when rain was on the cards and they would take care of brown snakes - both heartwarming stories to country people.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacski View Post
    I like Kookaburras as going back to being a kid in the country two stories were told about them (probably urban myths): they laughed when rain was on the cards and they would take care of brown snakes - both heartwarming stories to country people.

Having heard all the stories about how many dangerous snakes reside in Australia, I walked out of the plane expecting to see them lying 3 layers deep on the ground, and hanging from the trees. My hikes in the bush were spent with eyes glued to the ground, scanning the trail ahead and to the sides, ever weary of the lurking little devils I was certain were waiting to ambush me.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Another interesting thing about the kookaburra call. It's used pervasively by hollywood in jungle scenes. Have a listen to LT's audio of its call, and think back to the old Tarzan movies. Sound familiar?

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Yep its the fear of the unknown more than the reality. However we've had brown's come through our backyard and I held a young one down with a rake till the ranger came and collected it. They are usually looking for water and just move on, being quite timid. Friends on the other side of the road backing onto the big reserve of which I've posted some video have lost pets though. I do keep an eye out for them on but have never seen them, as we walk the tracks. However people who do a bit more through the grass see them up there. Just don't step over a fallen log without first checking what's on the other side is the main thing, as they could be sheltering in the shade. Dad was a country GP and he had a boy brought into him who had been bitten but the kid died. After he'd been bitten in long grass he'd run home and that spread the poison and they didn't have much by way of antivenenes back then.

Sticking with the Bird theme for now, here's another variety of parrot; the Scaly Breasted Lorikeet. The beauty of all these guys just blew me away. There are so many types of parrots there, all of which are stunning. I asked LT how many she knew, and she said only a handful. She said when in doubt, she just calls it a parrot.

Name:  SkalyBreastedLorikeet,Title,Web.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  ScalyBreastedLorikeetHole,Title,Web.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  60.2 KB

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Ooops yep back to normal programming: The Scaly Breasted is one I can't really recall seeing, so dominant in terms of numbers are the Rainbow Lorikeets. So thanks CR and my attention is drawn to how focus in the first shot shows the detail in the feet. The link to their reptile heritage is obvious. What a great shot. The second one looks like you caught it outside a hollowed out log in a dead branch. Still spring in Victoria (hehe) so that could have been its nest.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Hacski - that one is at Healesville Sanctuary - so that hollow tree is his/her replicate nest I guess... We get Long Billed Corellas and Rainbow Lorikeets en mass at home and like you I don't remember explicitly seeing these guys - although there are so many I could have easily seen one and not clicked... The sanctuary seems to have a nice collection of the rarer birds and I think they work at releasing threatened species back into the environment... We even saw Orange Bellied Parrots...

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OOH so gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacski View Post
    Ooops yep back to normal programming: The Scaly Breasted is one I can't really recall seeing, so dominant in terms of numbers are the Rainbow Lorikeets. So thanks CR and my attention is drawn to how focus in the first shot shows the detail in the feet. The link to their reptile heritage is obvious. What a great shot. The second one looks like you caught it outside a hollowed out log in a dead branch. Still spring in Victoria (hehe) so that could have been its nest.
    Those feet do look like serious business, don't they. Yet at the sanctuary we were able to feed them as they stood on our arm. They were so careful not to sink those claws into our arm, as I'm sure they've learned that it results in the end of the feeding.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Here's another Parrot type we saw at Healesville Sanctuary.

Name:  MuskLorikeet,Title,Web.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.5 KB

www.YourSkiCoach.com