Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On the bench for a bit

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor

On the bench for a bit

I have benched myself until I can sort out a few problems.

All of the studies I recently completed opened up a few doors in understanding. One of those doors pointed to a way to get the radical high edge angles where your hips are a few inches above the ground at considerably less speeds than racers get to in the race courses. Of course I considered it theory unless I or someone else could veryify it. I started playing with the ideas and have had a ton of fun and have learned a lot.

The whole idea here was to accurately steer the skis out with very little pressure to a very high edge and engage the skis just about the apex. Most of the pressure would come from momentum instead of centrifugal force.

Sunday I was confident enough in reaching the skis out that I figured I have a fair chance of pulling it off and at worst probably blowing out of the turn. The snow conditions were perfect, I was going to use the terrain to my advantage, I was on the right skis and in the right frame of mind. I had planned on doing some more skiing before I tried it but this one run seemed perfect so I went for it. I was ultra smooth and accurate but really let it go. I felt the skis shoot way out and I was way low when the skis engaged.

The turn was letter perfect but I apparently was not. It felt like I instantly went to the twilight zone. It felt like I had instant tunnel vision and not full awareness. I snapped of two turns and was back up tall. I skied to the bottom of the short run and when I stopped it felt like the top of my head could be lifted off. I remember one of the younger ski instructors telling me the turns were totally sick but I felt very sick. A couple of the older instructors ask if I was all right and I could not keep from studdering and shaking. My head was pounding in a migrane to the point of be nauseous. I immediately sat down. In a few minutes I wasn't studdering and my head wasn't throbbing near as badly. I was somewhat dehydrated and drank some water. My friends were quite concerned but I was getting better pretty fast. I drove home and went to bed.

Over the last two days I have had periods where I still feel a bit ill and I am pretty sore in my neck, shoulders and leg muscles. Especially the muscles along the insides of my thighs and calf muscles. My knees seem to be all right. I am going to take it very easy for a while and monitor the situation. I have been seeing a doctor for things I suspect are related and have had enough tests to rule out the worst things that were possible. I seem to be susceptible to things like this right now.

Wish I could remember much or had a video or photo. I do know from the places where I am sore that I had to have been dead on and get more turn than I bargained for. I feel gyped. I had this fairytail idea that it would be like making love for the first time. It was more like the one where you get caught when you're 15 yrs old. Right now I am feeling kinda blue and "over the hill" and I don't feel like skiing at all. I need a few more days.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Wow, Pierre - feel better soon! I'm curious as to what triggered your vertigo-esque symptoms, but for now, work on getting your legs back - the skiing will still be there when you're back to all-systems-go.

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Wow, Pierre, sorry to hear about this. As I read, I thought you were going to say you booted out and broke a leg.

Did you stretch something important that cut off circulation? Do you think it might not have been caused by the two turns, but just happened at the same time by coincidence?

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Did the quick reengagement of the skis feel like an unanticipated jolt from hitting a bump or trough, Pierre?

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar
    Pierre, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't as expected and that it had the impact it did on your body and outlook. I think you should give yourself enormous credit for trying it.
    I hope you feel better very soon!

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So sorry, good luck with this.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pierre, That's not good. Get better very soon Friend.

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
    Did the quick reengagement of the skis feel like an unanticipated jolt from hitting a bump or trough, Pierre?
    I do not remember any unanticipated jolt. My recollection is that the reengagement was very smooth into and out of the apex yet very quick and very powerful.

I am doing a whole lot better today. I am not having headaches or muscle cramps. The muscles around my pelvis and the hip joints are still sore. Will probably go skiing Friday but take it easy.

I suppose the possibility exists that I held my breath and clenched my teeth or something that might have added considerable stress at my head.

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    Jan 31, 2013

Hi Pierre:

Hope you get over whatever is causing this "strange" vertigo feeling.

A few year back (2004), I had "open brain" surgery performed on me because of a blood clot which had developed between the brain and skull. The medical terminology is subdural hematoma. The gorgeous film actress Natasha Richardson died from this problem a few years back from a skiing injury suffered at Mt. Tremblant (see following for more information on this condition):

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000713.htm

I make no claim to being a doctor or health professional and am not suggesting that this is what caused your problem, however, after the surgery, I did some reading on this matter, and the reason that it seems to happen to older people more frequently after a head injury, is that as we age, the brain matter starts to shrink, so that a "cavity" starts to develop in our skull, between the brain and the surrounding skull bone. While you were making this "sick" turn, did you, as aviators will say, pull a lot of Gs? If so, the turn might have acted somewhat like a centrifugal machine, pulling out fluid from your brain. I would get myself checked out by a competent neurologist with a cat scan or MRI, performed on my head. Just because you feel better now, is no guarantee that it has dissipated. I think what happened to me is that I was hit by a speeding skier and my head hit the snow. I stood up shook it off. It was probably late January or early February. Nothing wrong until April. Then my movements started deteriorating (walking, running, ski racing). Went to the emergency room and the next day I had the operation. This was just a few days prior to a planned trip which involved air travel. If I had gotten on the plane, my brain would expanded and I would have died.

Think snow,

SCR
    Last edited by CharlieP; January 31st, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Oh man you have just delivered scary but perhaps life-saving information. Glad you didn't get on that there plane, CP.
    Pierre, are you taking this good advice seriously? Us old folks gotta take care of each other, so we can go out and play like kids in the snow. Forever.