Thread: Lange RX 130

Lange RX 130

Stay Tuned. In a recent episode at an east coast sporting goods store I tried on several pari of Langes, Noridcas, Technica and Salomons. Having been thru everything else on the rack, out of curiosity I asked to to try the RX 130s. All I can say is that after a $45 foor bed and on epass with heating the liners, the in-store feel was amazing. I could feel any particular 1 sq inch of my foot and lower leg and could manipulate that spot without feeling any potential for discomfort. The fit was close without feeling tight.

But store is store and snow is snow. I just arrived at the bottom of the hill and for the next 6 weeks or more (pray to the Goots von Schnee) will be giving them the thorough exam. Close fit yet comfy? An admirable design goal. Fact? Stay tuned...
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey MTGuide! Glad to hear from you. I take it you made it to Montana with no issues. Can't wait for your on snow review of the boots!

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Hey MTGuide, I hope I can take credit for leading you towards that boot(that is if you like them on snow as well as in the shop)!! Let me know how you like them, remember that they will take a few sessions to really start to break in for you. I have not met one person that hasn't spoken highly of this Lange line. Keep me posted. Dave
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by daveski7 View Post
    Hey MTGuide, I hope I can take credit for leading you towards that boot(that is if you like them on snow as well as in the shop)!! Let me know how you like them, remember that they will take a few sessions to really start to break in for you. I have not met one person that hasn't spoken highly of this Lange line. Keep me posted. Dave
    Better late than never....

Love them Love them, love them!!!!!

Thanks to daveski for the steerage!

Kuddos to Brother for the service and the fit adjustment!

Before I get to the love, the only gripe I have is the "cant" adjustment. In this price range I would expect something with a little more precision.

WHen BPs Brother first brought them out of the back room, the shells look impossibly small so I was a little surprised that they were so comfortable. The last pair of high performance boots I owned were late 80's vintage Nordica 5 buckles. Something an Inquisting Spainiard ight have in his tool room. A lot of boots I have tried, when you tighten the buckles over your foot it pulls in on the sides too much and cramps the sides of my feet. On this boot, and I don't know how they do it, when I tighten those buckles they tighten DOWN on my foot. Just what I want.

The 130s have a nice snug fit but enough toe room to let the dogs breath without cutting off circulation or feel-for-the-ski. That "feel" is where they really shine. I like to tell folks to look at the cuff like a clock. Putting pressure at 10 o'clock does different stuff than pressure at 3 o'clock...play with the clock. I don't have shin-bang problems which surprised e a little because the top edges of the cuff aren't particularly soft. I think that because the boot does such a good job of transmitting my inputs to the ski and BACK again I don't over-flex them the way I might with a less responsive boot. You know, you keep pressuring until you get the feedback you want so the faster that input/feedback loop runs you don't have to go as deep into the boot. With these boots I have minute hand control and feedback. Very Precise, which enables finesse that leads to smooth which makes you fast...or as slow as you want to be. If you love to slip and schmeeere and toy with edges and just play, this boot really does a great job. If you want to hammer the hill It does that really well too.

Boot flex numbers are relative only to the maker. These are "130" but I don't find them difficult to bend at all. I am not saying that because I am some kind of manly-beast. They aren't as stiff fore/aft as the Dalbello Boss I was riding before. The range of motion in the forward flex is really huge and nicely progressive. You get the flex you need to work bumps and harbor chop but if you want to rip a groomer in hard pack or ice, just lean on 'em and its there for you. Side to side flex is non existent.

They aren't as warm as a more plushy boot but that's what the warm up hut is for. I am diabetic and the circulation in my feet isn't bad but it ain't good either. Days below 15 degrees I would probably want a boot heater...BUT...I am so afraid of messing up the fit I have I don't know if I will. Oh ya...Best keep them warm on the way to the mountain! Mine are a cast iron bitch to get on when they are cold.

I read in another thread, LF I think, was shopping boots and discussing flex issues. The responses were spot on regarding how flex affects skiing in different situations. When I really need to soften them up I can just back of the power strap and they feel like a 90 the first couple inches of travel. I will say there isn't much rearward flex there but I haven't sensed that being an issue yet.

If you have the scheckles for the 130s and they fit you grab them. I suspect that some of the Lange models down the price ladder are nicely made too but to paraphrase my "survivalist" neighbor..."You can have my Langes when you pry them from my dead, cold feet!"
    Last edited by mtguide1; October 17th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"