Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to ski in Oregon?

Where to ski in Oregon?

My ex wife will be traveling from her home in Spokane WA to Lincoln City OR next week for a pool tournament, she asked me to suggest a place to ski for a day on the return trip. I'm in the northeast and am at a loss. She wants to try a place she has never skied before, that rules out Bachelor. She is leaning towards Mt Hood but wondered what other alternatives there might be.

Any suggestions?

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Both Timberline and Mount Hood Meadows are good options, with plenty of terrain. Meadows has the more challenging stuff of the two, and most of the above-timberline stuff at Timberline won't be open just yet (i.e. Palmer Lift and snowfield, which are likely buried right now - they offer cat skiing in the Palmer area during these times). I've skied at both, and they are great places with awesome scenery and skiing.

Otherwise, there is Mount Hood Ski Bowl, which is located in the town of Government Camp. It's small, has an extensive night skiing operation, and good for something a bit more rootsy. Much of the upper mountain at Ski Bowl is challenging and a lot of fun when the snow is plentiful (which it currently is).

Also along the flank of Mt. Hood is Cooper Spur, which is a small (350 feet of vertical), mostly locals-only area, loaded with beginner and intermediate terrain.

Further south, there is Hoodoo, which has 1,035' of vertical, and is located on US-20 about halfway between Bend and Corvallis. It looks like a fun little area that is an alternative to Mt. Bachelor.

Another smaller resort that looks like it could be fun is Willamette Pass Ski Area, which is about 3.5 hours southeast of Lincoln City.

There is also a snowcat skiing operation, Cat Ski Mt. Bailey, which looks like it would be a splurge but a lot of fun. It's $350 per day, and you need to check their website to see about availability, but they currently have TONS of snow and would guarantee a most unique skiing experience, for sure.

I should have mentioned she is a blue, maybe blue/black skier that just needs to putz around to be happy.....

Quote Originally Posted by songfta View Post
    Both Timberline and Mount Hood Meadows are good options, with plenty of terrain. Meadows has the more challenging stuff of the two, and most of the above-timberline stuff at Timberline won't be open just yet (i.e. Palmer Lift and snowfield, which are likely buried right now - they offer cat skiing in the Palmer area during these times). I've skied at both, and they are great places with awesome scenery and skiing.

Otherwise, there is Mount Hood Ski Bowl, which is located in the town of Government Camp. It's small, has an extensive night skiing operation, and good for something a bit more rootsy. Much of the upper mountain at Ski Bowl is challenging and a lot of fun when the snow is plentiful (which it currently is).

Also along the flank of Mt. Hood is Cooper Spur, which is a small (350 feet of vertical), mostly locals-only area, loaded with beginner and intermediate terrain.

Further south, there is Hoodoo, which has 1,035' of vertical, and is located on US-20 about halfway between Bend and Corvallis. It looks like a fun little area that is an alternative to Mt. Bachelor.

Another smaller resort that looks like it could be fun is Willamette Pass Ski Area, which is about 3.5 hours southeast of Lincoln City.

There is also a snowcat skiing operation, Cat Ski Mt. Bailey, which looks like it would be a splurge but a lot of fun. It's $350 per day, and you need to check their website to see about availability, but they currently have TONS of snow and would guarantee a most unique skiing experience, for sure.

I think I'll recommend copper spur. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by songfta View Post

Mt. Bachelor is by far the best ski resort in Oregon. The slopes are great for all levels, but especially for beginners and intermediate. The town doesn't have to many choices of restaurants but enough to get some great meal during or after your day on the slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by skier_j View Post
    I think I'll recommend copper spur. Thanks so much
    yes. copper spur is the best for her as she is blue

let her choose when she reach there..

Quote Originally Posted by Beth641 View Post
    let her choose when she reach there..
    yes. the best option. she should chose the place

copper spur.. have you experienced there??

I haven't experienced that, but I want to try