Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on Maine vacation

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar

Recommendations on Maine vacation

Henry & I are thinking of going on a vacation to Maine. Any recommendations on places to see, things to do? Thanks in advance!

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bar Harbor is beautiful. We used to love going there when we lived we in Maine. The rocky beaches are spectacular. Very pretty and relaxing. We lived there a very long time ago though so hopefully it is still as beautiful as I remember. But Maine does have a gorgeous coast line and the little fishing towns are really nice.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; June 5th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What do you want to/like to do?

I have sailed the coast from Portland as far as Jonesport. It is all pretty spectacular. Hiking can range from easy to extreme. Tons of historical stuff to see. Biking is good. BP's recommendation of Bar Harbor is good, although Mt Desert Island can get pretty busy. Most of it is National Park so hiking and biking are really nice there. You can get to some pretty desolate places in Maine if that is your desire. Most never leave southern Maine, which is ok, because the density of fun things in the south is much higher than in the north.

There are lots of places to camp and spend your time in idyllic scenery. Eating lobsters, fried seafood and steamers is pretty much mandatory. You can rent cabins on islands, take scenic boat trips, or tour from city to the middle of nowhere.

An ideal trip for me (if I didn't go during sailing season) would be to do a brewery tour. Maine was a hotbed for the microbrew/pub brewery scene in the last century and you could easily spend a couple weeks visiting a different brewery each day while cruising around the state.

If you are looking for outdoor stuff to do, September, right after Labor Day, is the prime time for avoiding tourists, storms and bugs.

I've only scratched the surface of the things you can do. Museums (art, industrial, sailing, transportation +++), art galleries, lakes, rivers, mountains, dining, camping... The list goes on and on. A tour of lighthouses would be fun, too! Berry picking (straw, blue, ???)

Need a tour guide?

Thanks much BP & Mastersracer.......many great suggestions. Not clear if we will be able to pull it off this year due to the amount of work finally being done on our backyard. Ideally, we would go this year...and September would fit. If not this year, though, then next year. Henry wants to visit a particular furniture school. Otherwise we would just be tourists....looking at countryside, art, towns,etc. Dining is always a highlight of every vacation. When in Banff, we did some hiking and attempted to see animals (no bears but we saw plenty of deer, a herd of elk and various squirrels). We both like biking. Henry is also a really good photographer and I'm slowly learning. A brewery tour sounds like fun. Scenic boat trips and staying in cabins sounds like it shouldn't be missed. Looks like advance planning would be a very good idea. Many, many thanks for so many ideas!!

Blog Entries
    Definitely go when it is cooler. The running joke is that the black fly is Maine's state bird!! ! And mosquitoes are not far behind. September and early October are great and when the leaves are in their Autumn glory it is truly magnificent.

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    If it fits, the corporate mother store (and the outlet store) for LL Bean is in Newtown; maybe a long hour North of Portland, and not far off the Interstate. The dockside seafood boil down by their harbor is also worth the effort if you are there, but bring your own beer though.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

Home Sweet Home Snow Sport Instructor Lars's Avatar
    Winks, We go to Maine every Summer. My Mother's family and she lived there. We spent almost every Summer there as kids growing up. I will post up some pictures and some detail on my favorite places to visit, stat and see while there.
    all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools

Thanks for more advice BP, Stranger and Lars! Fall does sound like the best time BP. Stranger...a friend went to the LLBean store and RAVED about it! Lars.....that would be fantastic!

Blog Entries
    LL Bean is really fun. Mom and Dad used to take us up and it was always a real treat. We have an LL Bean store in our area too but I don't think it's nearly as big as the original flagship store. But I remember we used to love going over there. I wonder if I would find it as big now as I did when I was little. And now that we also have Bass Pro shop with two levels with their huge aquarium and taxidermy all over the store LL Bean is not as much as a novelty as it was when it was the only shop around like that in my little world. But it is lots of fun especially if you have not been to one of their shops yet. Note of warning though, it you are like me you are going to want to buy EVERYTHING so just be aware. It is not a store for those who can't say no. If it was up to me I would be walking out of there with kayaks and camping gear and boots and clothes and bedsheets and everything else!

But definitely go visit it if you are able, you will love it. They have very nice ski clothes too and they should be on sale. And the coolest thing about LL Bean is that you can return anything anytime for any reason. They have a no questions asked rest of your life policy and if you used your LL Bean card you don't pay return shipping. Well they do ask why you return it because they like to know if a product has an issue but they don't care why you return it. Their customer service is stellar, among the best I have ever experienced. So you can buy up a storm and then return things later if you want. I have recently returned a bunch of stuff so that I could pay the mortgage! I even returned some stuff mom and dad had bought like some shoes dad bought 7 years ago. And even if the stuff is used like completely, they still take it back. You will get whatever it's worth when you return it but they never hassle you about returning anything whatever condition it's in or no matter how long you have had it. And some of the stuff mom and dad had for years and I got full price back on it. I even returned a ski jacket mom had given me over ten tears ago that I had worn every winter and my first year skiing and I still got full price for it. I was able to get my new jacket that has Goretex and breathes better with the return money. That is one reason I love them. I can buy stuff and if I am financially strapped I can return it and then possibly buy it or something similar or better to it later. And they have great sales so I can actually afford their stuff sometimes.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; June 6th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Sounds like fun BP! Have to admit, I'm not as much of a shopper as I once was but almost always enjoy looking......