Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 6 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn rotator cuff

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar

Torn rotator cuff

Hi all, hope everyone is fine. Well, my summer is not starting off so well. Just got back my results om an MRI and I have a fully torn Rotator cuff,partially torn biceps tendon, and a few other things going on in there as well. Just looking to see who out there has any experience with this type of injury.

I am a self employed Landscaper who also works by myself so hoping to prolong surgery til after Thanksgiving. Yes that means I might miss ski season next Winter but the kids gotta eat.Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dave, so sorry Dude. The best advice I can give you is to really care for that and allow yourself a full and complete recovery before really using the shoulder. Shoulders are very delicate and if you don't let them recover fully they can plague you for a very long time.At least smilely hugs won't hurt.

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that, Dave. How much pain/discomfort are you in?

It hurts when I do certain things so I make sure I don't do those certain things. Icing like crazy at night,Advil during the day and in the process of getting multiple Doctor opinions as to when and if I need surgery or not. Timing is the biggest issue I am having right now with work and all. Somehow I will make it through and be alright,I have made it this far right? We'll see, in the meantime go Bruins, back to the Cup baby!!!!!!!!

Ow Ow Ow Ow.

I am seriously impressed-- a better word would be "agog" -- that you're able to do landscaping single handed with this injury.

When I did mine in, it was a serious exercise in pain just to get shirt sleeves on in the morning. Sleeping through the night without painful rollovers required building a nest of about 7-8 pillows of assorted firmness.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had the same problem, just remembered, putting on a shirt was one of the worst things. I saw Dave today and he seemed a lot better than I was when I injured mine. Here's hoping the second doctor has better news!
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

As I told Steve today, the confusing thing is the lack of pain as long as I do stuff below shoulder level. Yet the doctor relayed how bad my MRI is and thinks surgery is necessary within one month or it can become inoperable. Hence me getting second and third opinions as to how long I can prolong it. I shall have both by the end of the week. As far as sleeping that is the time it nags me the most, add to that the mind going a hundred miles an hour trying to figure out how I can make all this work and not lose the house and you have a great recipe for insomnia. I picked a bad year to quit drinking!!!!!

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Thoughts and prayers are with you, Dave. If you can use the arm below the shoulder right now without the surgery, will you be able to do that also after the surgery?

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    After surgery you're in a sling and not allowed to use the arm at all for a number of weeks (4-6 as I recall.). You do passive movement, swinging it for example to keep it from freezing up. Sleeping with the sling was the worst part of it for me.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

...and after that you're *slowly* trying to get range of motion back without re-triggering the injury, at first you're weak as a kitten and anything that requires pushing up (think putting jar on shelf), pushing forward with the hand high (kayak paddle), or rotating from your side towards your chest (forehand tennis swing) is a party of pain. If you fall and try to catch yourself with that hand chances are solid that you'll tear the rotator cuff again. After the first sling, it took me 10 weeks of rather lopsided swimming to both regain motion and to have reasonable strength in the arm. After the second sling (other shoulder) I was stupid and tried to do too much weight on the butterfly press 3 months afterwards so I got a third sling.