Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swimming For Improving Endurance

Swimming For Improving Endurance

Swimming is one of the best cardio exercise and also an enjoying activity and sport. Swimming is good for whole body fitness but it specifically improves body endurance power and strength and specially of arms, shoulders and neck muscles. The fitness and strength is useful for hiking.
    Last edited by Deputy Dog; November 20th, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: remove spam link

If you're good at the dolphin kick it is fantastic for developing upper leg strength. Don't forget to stretch your calf muscles afterwards tho...

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar
    I am a relatively new swimmer but it seems to me that swimming is a lot about core strength.....because it's the core keeping the legs and arms in control and working together. Seems like a great exercise for overall body strength!

Quote Originally Posted by Winks View Post
    I am a relatively new swimmer but it seems to me that swimming is a lot about core strength.....because it's the core keeping the legs and arms in control and working together. Seems like a great exercise for overall body strength!

I'd argue with you just to keep the thread going, but I'm off to the pool.

I recommenced swimming regularly last summer........working most of the time on freestyle......have never been so aware of my oblique muscles (Coach to Winks repeatedly, "You're not rotated enough!"

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you are feeling your neck and shoulder muscles on what you consider front crawl, be careful. They are very delicate and easy to injure and damage. Even in fly and breastroke be careful. You don't want to be feeling it in the neck. That's all I am going to say.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; November 20th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Princess View Post
    If you are feeling your neck and shoulder muscles on what you consider front crawl, be careful. They are very delicate and easy to injure and damage. Even in fly and breastroke be careful. Yoou don't want to be feeling it in the neck. That's all I am going to say.
    I'm not but appreciate your mentioning it BP! It's the side of my abdominal muscles that I feel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winks View Post
    I'm not but appreciate your mentioning it BP! It's the side of my abdominal muscles that I feel.
    You might need to smoothen your rotation and make it more fluid. Try slowing it down and elongating it. Swim very tall in front crawl and backstroke. If your rotation is jerked you might be straining. Also stretch before you get in the water and after.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    BP, you're a swim coach right?

Some years ago I participated in something called the "Swedish classic" (300 km Cycling, 3 km open water swimming, 30 km terrain running and 90 km Xcountry skiing). Since I was quite a bad swimmer I decided to learn some more and I found something called "total immersion swimming". At the time it was just a book with pictures but it was quite similar to Ricks BB, building up the skill with different drills. Today they have video as well.
    I wonder if you have seen it and what your opinion about it is?

For me it knocked the 3km time from 65 to 50 minutes, and with less effort. I felt I had a lot more to develop in my technique though. Snow has always been my natural element, but not when it is melted .
    The biggest problem in the race was that I had never swam open water before, the breathing technique of total immersion swimming didn't work so well due to the small waves. Kind of like a skier that reverts to basic instinct movements when they are scared in the slope, my swimming technique fell apart when the breathing didn't work. I had to force myself to think about the technique, not exactly unconscious competence. Somewhere between conscious incompetence and conscious competence.

Edit: To OP. I did not find swimming to be the best for cardio. In fact I had a very hard time getting my pulse up, but perhaps it is technique related. I think I don't get enough air to push it.

Blog Entries
    Waves are tough to deal with, a bit annoying I think! You sometimes have to alter your technique depending on how rough the water is. I pm'd you about my thoughts on Total Immersion. I thought that was best.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; November 30th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.