Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Skating on the outside edge

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjc View Post
    What about SKATING as part of a progression leading up to ONE-LEG skiing?
    I have been experimenting on the flats to see how long I can balance on the glide ski before rolling onto the inside edge (big toe edge) to pushoff for a new glide on the other ski, and it seems to me that the glide ski (assuming you come down on the little toe side) is analogous to the inside ski in a White Pass/Norwegian turn. Sort of like skating into a turn? If so, why not make extensive use of skating practice to lead up to the White Pass/Norwegian turn on one leg? Are there drawbacks to doing so?
    cj
    This is a great idea for teaching instructors to get used to the little toe edge. In the PSIA-E verbal description of Level III skating, it says the skier lands on the LTE and glides on it before rolling to the BTE. Or something like that. One needs precision balance to set that ski down on its LTE, much less to glide on it for a bit.

Getting a student to glide on the ski flat before rolling and propelling is still a BIG accomplishment. Having a student glide on the LTE is like asking a student to do any other difficult drill - work up to it with baby steps, and be patient. I like it for students ready to move to one-ski skiing, who already skate competently.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    Skating is a key and even "master" skill. In PSIA certifications it's very important. My wife passed her Level 2 teaching exam in large part due to her emphasis on skating in one of her teaching segments.

I think the reason you see race coaches focus on it and not Instructors, is that they have the time and the long term coaching with their students to teach fundamentals. Heck to teach much of anything at all. Ski lessons are about quick fixes, making the student feel like they learned something, and not ever seeing them again. If we spent too much time on skills based training they would feel like they didn't learn anything.

Race coaches on the other hand actually get to develop skills!
    It must be a frustrating situation for instructors. Less so, I imagine, it they haven't experienced the alternative.

SMJ, this was my idea with having ski instructors incorporate Building Blocks into their work with students. Give them assignments in between lessons of what drills/skills to work on in the DVDs, with an appointment set up for them to come back, get critiqued on their progress, provide hints for further refinements, introduce a couple new skills/drills, and send them off with their new assignment. Build a long term coach/student relationship in this manner.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    I read a lot on ski forums (too much). On the forum sites where there aren't a lot of instructors and coaches posting, the attitude towards "how to ski" is very very different than here. Skiers like to shaddup and just ski. They don't want to analyze, and they sure don't want to do drills. They tend to think that the way to increase their abilities is ski harder terrain, more often, behind people that ski better (faster) than them.

When a question about technique comes up, it's pretty amazing to me how many wild suppositions there are about the issue. Drills are almost never brought up as a way to deal with the issue (icy, steeps, bumps, new snow, spring snow, etc.)

I read those threads just to get an idea of how my clients might be thinking. I find them illuminating, but sad. We would be able to build stronger skiers if more of them believed in taking lessons and working on "homework."

This might not apply to people out west in the trees on big fat skis. Perhaps just going out and doing it is enough in that situation. Oh, and being young and strong when you do it. That's a part of skiing that I have no experience in.