Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Love my new boots

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Love my new boots

I skied my new boots for the first time today. They are awesome. Dalbello Raya 11. I think I need a little more room in the toeboxes but other than that I can't believe how well I skied today. Check out my blog for the details. It's amazing how a precision fit makes such a hug difference in my skiing! What a blast it is when the skis actually move with you!

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Happy for you BP!
    How much terrain is open at your mountain?

Blog Entries
    Thank you LF! We have seven out of twenty trails open and one terrain park is open. As of tonight the snowbase is 24 inches of packed powder, all snowgun, no natural snow. But if the weather keeps cooperating we should have a good season. I hope so anyway.

Well done BP and good luck for the season.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    That's a cool thing and not to be underestimated. Boot fit and shaping equal performance. This year I put my year and a half old boots on and they feel awesome. No issues after a long time getting them to feel a part of my exoskeleton that connects my body to my skis. This is a good thing but usually signals it's almost time to replace them .
    Best wishes for you BP

Blog Entries
    Thank you guys. I had a bit of trouble last night though. That one spot on my big toe where the boot was compressing it was not healed enough so I skied badly last night. I was advised to give the boots a chance to pack out and see if it changes before blowing out that spot. I noticed that even after just the two hours of the first night they seemed to have packed out a good bit and I was actually having some fore and aft movement in the left one, that is my shorter foot.

These boots are the shortest I can go without having a race fit but Brother told me to play with the middle buckle to keep the heel back. It took me about forty minutes to finally get it right. That helped a ton. He had also told me that there will be about two weeks of adjusting and fiddling as the boots pack out and break in so I should be willing to go through it. I am willing to go through anything if that first night on them was a glimpse of things to come in how much my skiing will improve. I loved that super snug hold around the midfoot which I felt the first night but that has relaxed a little bit. Once they are done packing out I may try my midweight socks in them to get a super snug fit in that part of the foot again. Right not I have the thinnest socks I own which are very light, not super ultra light but the next lightness from that. But I think once I have them dialed in things are going to get really fun.

I also got a nice jacket half price from LLBean, my Christmas present . It's the Snowfield jacket so the pink jacket matches my boots almost perfectly. And when I ski on my 2010 Dynastar Legends which I love for ice, the pink in the cherry blossoms will match perfectly as well. Oh horrors, I am turning into a Kardashian!

But I will keep you guys posted on how I do. I will be putting blow by blow details in my blog too.

I also noticed that I am actually getting tired skiing these past couple of days and that my legs are really getting a workout. I am the most out of shape I have been in a very long time though since I had so much trouble with my bike and lots of personal stuff going on that I did not get to ride all off season or work out much. But I also wonder if I am getting tired because I am actually starting to really ski now. When I started in 2010 and I was just on the greens I could ski for ten hours and not get tired. And I was not in shape then either. But now I can go about two and half to three hours and I really feel it. I am actually tired after three hours.

I also noticed that I was doing a lot more flexing and extending in my turns that I have ever done. And the cool thing was that it was not because I was trying but it was just naturally happening as the turns were progressing. So that was really exciting! (I am going to paste this last bit into my blog entry. ) But I remember how during ski school clinics or in my lessons they kept trying to get me to flex more and Brother kept trying to get me to flex more and I could never quite get it. But once I got my boots buckled better at the end of last night the flex and extend just felt like they were happening on their own without my conscious effort and I could really feel my legs moving up and down more than I have ever felt them before.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; December 2nd, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

My boots which I bought from Jeff in Breckenridge in Feb last year are tops, and I owe CR and LT heaps for the intro to Jeff. There was a compression spot on the left big toe (my larger foot) which Jeff determined to be due to the liner, not the shell. So he didn't mold the shell and suggested giving the liner a chance to pack down. However last March I returned from WA/OR with a bruise under the nail: liner 1, big toe 0. So in August I relented and tried what Jeff had suggested in that case, viz. I unpicked the stitching for about a half inch on the corner to ease the pressure. It helped a good deal but the toe was still tender and it has only just in the past few weeks grown right out and the nail returned to normal. I shall see how We will be skiing for 13 days from Tuesday next week so hope the fix works and will work with Brother's advice, i.e. ease the front buckle off the toe cap but keep the middle ones snug but not overtight.
    Last edited by Hacski; December 3rd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you H. I am going to try that, to keep the buckle loose and see if that gives the liner more room to open up. Hopefully that will help. I am going to try to ski again tomorrow and I will keep you posted.

Goodo BP. We had a warm autumn and a warm winter but spring was quite cool. It has just turned warm though, which makes it a more natural feeling, for us, to be getting ready to depart on a ski vacation - on Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Thanks H.

I have to keep reminding myself that your seasons are opposite ours. That is very exciting about your vacation. Where will you be going?

I told Brother today that I was getting tired after only skiing a couple of hours now and he laughed at me and said, "Good! That means you're actually moving instead of skiing with stiff legs!" He said, "How long have I been telling you to loosen up and move? It's about time!" And he did a silly little imitation of me turning without a proper flex and extend! He was really happy to hear the good news! He said to just keep skiing and let the boots pack out more. If I still have issues after a week or two I can take them to the shop.