Thread: Any advice to improve my skiing from this very short video ?

Any advice to improve my skiing from this very short video ?

I understand that this video is too short, from the wrong angle etc but Liquid Feet has already been good enough to have a look it and has given me some very helpful advice as well as suggesting some others might be kind enough to offer some thoughts as well.
    I would be particularly interested in how my skiing relates to CR's building blocks videos ( I have the first two ) and if there are particular sections of those videos , or other of CR's videos, that I should pay particular attention to.
    Thanks Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMlmaqZFtRo

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    When I see a skier such as you I see so much promise if led to the right path if he chose to drill to improve his skills and understanding of his movement patterns and how to take advantage of what he knows and feels to find a wide range of balancing and edging skills at his disposal. Do each drill from the beginning of Basic Balance and Basic Edging and master each while building a foundation of skills you will own.If you don't have the cue cards then make your own in a small notebook you keep in your pocket.

I can easily see a student who would benefit immediately and has the athleticism to improve very quickly. You move well. If you would like a private assessment PM me . I don't wish to criticize your skiing openly .

Thanks garryz, I have no problem with being criticised openly but I have sent you a pm anyway.
    Cheers Mike

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Hi, Michael. Very nice skiing. You're demonstrating a well balanced, athletic stance. Your transitions are nice and smooth, pivot free, no tail pushing happening, which is excellent. You're narrow track steering your turns, using a relatively small skid angle, and your turn shape is very round and consistent. That represents a more advanced form of steering. It appears you've been working on the drills in the DVDs.

Does my description match what you're intentions were in that video? To provide more detailed critique we need to know what you were attempting to do. There are so many types of turn shapes, edging goals, and balance states to work on. Success is measured by how well you do at achieving your particular technical objective. Good skiing doesn't have only one face. Know what i mean?
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Hello Rick, Thanks for commenting. You are right the DVDs have been very helpful to me both in understanding what I am trying to do and in how to actually do it.
    My intention was to ski longer turns in a smooth controlled manner. Overall it looks sort of ok to me ( if a bit restrained ) but I would like to have much more choices about how I can ski in different places and times. I suspect I could move toward achieving this with more control over skid angle especially being able to reduce it as much as I want at any particular time. I have trouble on firmer snow which I think is related to this and that limits my skiing enjoyment .
    Is my thinking on the right track. Are there particular drills from the DVDs that might help me ?
    Thanks Mike

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Hi Mike, thanks for the description of your objectives while skiing in that clip. Now I can provide more detailed feedback. See below, my comments in red.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndo View Post
    Hello Rick, Thanks for commenting. You are right the DVDs have been very helpful to me both in understanding what I am trying to do and in how to actually do it.
    My intention was to ski longer turns in a smooth controlled manner.

In the spectrum of turn shapes, those turns would be considered medium radius. Very smooth, yes indeed. My prescription would be to continue playing with turn shape. Make even larger radius turns than those, focusing especially on keeping those transitions completely pivot free. Be patient, let the skis start the turning for you. You're currently doing very well at it, just continue trying to refine your skill level at it.

Also try doing the same with shorter radius turns. Not pivoting is harder with short radius turns, so pay extra attention to it. Feel the pressure build first, and the skis start to turn, then gradually add the extra steering force to sharpen the turn into a short radius arc. That's how short radius turns are done pivot free.

Overall it looks sort of ok to me ( if a bit restrained )

Looking restrained, for these type of turns is a good thing. Steered turns employ more upright stances, and little dynamic movements. If more action was displayed it just represent wasted energy and movement. Keep skiing boring, you're doing right!

but I would like to have much more choices about how I can ski in different places and times. I suspect I could move toward achieving this with more control over skid angle especially being able to reduce it as much as I want at any particular time.

Yes, skid angle is a major skill area that will provide you with great control over your speed and turn shape. That control will contribute to providing comfort in varying terrains and snow conditions. So will balance training, which will garner you the skills that will allow you to be comfortable and confident when something goes askew, and you find yourself in an unintended state of balance. Those balance skills will broaden your comfort zone, and thus give you the confidence to venture into more challenging areas of the mountain.

I have trouble on firmer snow which I think is related to this and that limits my skiing enjoyment . Is my thinking on the right track. Are there particular drills from the DVDs that might help me ?

Much of the intimidation that occurs when encountering hard snow and ice comes from past experience. It's that feeling of a lack of control over the skis when on ice that saturates the memory banks causes people to stiffen up and throw there skis into big pivots, not trusting they have the skills needed to turn the skis as they desire. The pivot and stiff muscles then serve to guarantee that a big skid that's quite uncontrollable will happen. Stiff muscles just don't function very well, the fine muscle control needed in that situation goes out the window when the legs resemble Frankenstein skier, so the whole thing becomes a vicious cycle, and the fear a self fulfilling prophecy.

Keep working on the edging and balance drills in the DVDs. The more you refine your skill at them, the more confident and competent you'll become when you get on the hard snow. You need fine edge control skills to gently find edge purchase on ice. When you're nervous and stiff, and pivot your skis at the start of the turn, the skis simply overpower the snow and find it impossible to engage and turn. That's when the big skids happen. Be patient, take a breath, engage your edges gently and progressively, just like you do on soft snow, then feel for the skis to engage. Expect some sliding to occur, and don't let it panic you. Just go with it, and continue to shape your turn within the slight sliding.

It's like driving on icy roads. A little sliding can be felt at times, but good drivers don't panic, they accept it, and continue through the turn despite the looseness they feel below their tires. And they never, NEVER, do anything suddenly or abruptly. The slipperier it gets, the more gentle on the steering wheel and brake they become. Same goes for skiing on ice.

Thanks Mike
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Rick, Thanks again for your thoughts and expanding them in such detail. I will keep working at the things you suggest. Hopefully sometime in future I can put up a video of trying to ski with different intent and get some feedback on that.
    Cheers Mike