Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first Nastar attempt

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    YES!!!!
    ...to envisioning the line in the snow where your skis will go, while NOT looking at the gates, bumps, or trees that are in the way.
    We, like a horse, will go where our eyes are focused. We have to work on seeing the imaginary line we want our feet will follow.
    When we can do that, our feet will go there. It's a trainable skill.

Seeing that line farther and farther out is what I call "getting greedy." The farther forward I can see that imaginary line, and the farther out on that line I can keep my eyes and mind focused (without cheating and peeking back at the spot right in front of my feet), the more time I have for my feet and body to react. Everything starts happening in slow motion. I am swamped with extra time!

This too is a trainable skill.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Lars. I will definitely heed your advice about skiing too close to the tree line.

It must have been really awesome skiing with Glen. I hear he's really cool.

As far as race lessons, that is a great idea too. Fortunately some the ski school staff that I hang out with were racers and Brother had done quite a bit in his day too so they are all willing to help me out. And I am also friends with one of the race coaches at Roundtop. And I am sure Songfta would take some turns with me too if we can manage to get together. I might just have to shoot down to Liberty to hang out with you Songfta. But I can definitely take my time and learn all of this. It is very fun and even though I made a mess of my first Nastar run I am really glad to try it again soon.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; January 8th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    YES!!!!
    ...to envisioning the line in the snow where your skis will go, while NOT looking at the gates, bumps, or trees that are in the way.
    We, like a horse, will go where our eyes are focused. We have to work on seeing the imaginary line we want our feet will follow.
    When we can do that, our feet will go there. It's a trainable skill.

Seeing that line farther and farther out is what I call "getting greedy." The farther forward I can see that imaginary line, and the farther out on that line I can keep my eyes and mind focused (without cheating and peeking back at the spot right in front of my feet), the more time I have for my feet and body to react. Everything starts happening in slow motion. I am swamped with extra time!

This too is a trainable skill.
    This is something I really want to learn. They usually put baby slalom gates up on Fanny Hill, one of our greens, and I can use those to practice learning this. They are not up yet but hopefully soon. They usually put them up near the baby groomed moguls.

Good job for trying NASTAR BP. I remember the first time I tried it. I crash and burned a couple times. Even ripped one of the double gates out (embarrassing) . but one thing I did discover. Once or twice I recall going back to the course after they took the gates out. You could still see the course however and amazingly I could ski the line just fine. Things didn't even seem all that fast, although when your whizzing by a gate, it seems far faster than it probably is. What I'm eluding too is the gate was my fear, or my mental block. I think its why when skiers first start out they have them practice going around little markers on the snow, then putting tiny poles that only stick up a foot or so before eventually placing the full size poles up so you can condition yourself to getting near them and eventually hitting them such as in slalom. I wish they had nastar here still. It would be fun to try again.

Toby

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Toby, that's fascinating. It's like having trees pass by close to your car as you travel at 30mph, vs having trees far away to the side as you travel at 30mph. The close trees whizz by and make it seem like you're going faster. I've never thought of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Princess View Post
    They usually put them up near the baby groomed moguls.
    I remember those as being near the little woodsy cut-through, just above the lodge?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by comprex View Post
    I remember those as being near the little woodsy cut-through, just above the lodge?
    Sorry, I was away for bit. Went out of town this week.

They put the baby bumps and baby slalom gates on Fanny Hill which is the slope right above the discovery area (the bunny hill). They put them on the side of the tree line that separates Fanny Hill, the biggest green and Fife and Drum, the first blue which shares the terrain parks. Fife and Drum is the slope you can see clearly from the windows of the dining hall in the lodge.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    BP, if you feel rushed to turn by the gates, as though they're on top of you before you're ready, which is a common feeling for new racers, I have a hint. Use a higher line. By that I mean start your turn sooner, and have most of the turn done before you get to the gate. Your skis should already be pointing towards the next gate as you pass the gate you're turning around. When you do that you'll surprisingly feel like you have all the time in the world to make your turn. After you get more comfortable with the gates coming at you you can return to a more centered line, which is faster.

My Your Ski Coach "Introduction To Racing" DVD explains in great detail about various lines to use, and how to execute them.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rick, I will have to look at your dvd again. I think one thing that will be important as LF mentioned will be for me to try it again next very early in the morning. By the time I got there it had been skied so much that it was basically an icey halfpipe like trail with banks cut into the snow so you had to follow it the way it was or go off the the trail and up the bank. It was already later in the afternoon when I got there. But if I get there before it gets skied into a "canyon" I should be able to take any line I want. I think that was the difference between when I did the Mountain Dew Challenge last year. The snow was still a flatter surface and I was able to negotiate the gates using my own lines rather than what had been skied and boarded out ahead of me.

But I will try again soon. If I can ever get over this stupid cold virus I will be able to get to the mountain. Hopefully I'll get there in a couple of days.