Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Get well soon songfta...

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Heal fast, Rudi!

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Thank you, one and all!

I wrote a more detailed (and less pain/drug addled) account of the crash at my blog.

Second, while I thought I would be weight-bearing, I am not, due to the nature of the repair. The "nailing" is good, but the bone damage needs to calcify a bit before I stand on the repaired femur.

Third, the orthopedist who performed the surgery was the U.S. Ski Team's in-house ortho in 2012 and 2013. That I got him was pure circumstance, but he's been an excellent advisor and advocate for me.

As to my healing, it progresses. I still have a ton of swelling in my leg due to the severity of the crash, and it will still be another 3-4 days before it's close to normal. This swelling is impairing my ability to get around, as the leg is so stiff that it's in the way when I need it to be out of the way when I move around. This will get better, but for now, it's no fun at all.

I transfer to a rehab facility tomorrow, which will be a nice change. Still miles to go before I'm healed, but it's a step in the right direction.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow that is cool that you got US ski team in house ortho for a surgeon.
    Hubby sends you healing thoughts and wishes as well.
    I also told Brother what happened to you. He said to give you his best wishes and hopes you heal quickly and completely.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Rudi, I just heard about this and read your blog account. It was difficult reading, for sure. I hope your rehab is going well, best wishes on a speedy and full recovery.
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thank you, Freaq!

It's been trying, but I'm making great strides - literally! In the past two days, I've walked (with either parallel bars or, predominantly, a walker) a little over 200 feet! I've also climbed and descended stairs using handrails. Today I even got into - and out of - a car and a bathtub (with a shower stool).

My injured leg is still a bit swollen and inflexible, but it's getting better every day: muscles coming back to live, stability, control. I still can't bear any weight on the leg - won't be able to for many more weeks - but that's giving me every reason to work on upper-body strength, something I've really liked.

I'm using a lot of visualization skills honed via ski racing to help deconstruct and reconstruct motions to help stand, sit, and walk. I'm smiling a lot, every day. I've accepted my injury and an embracing the adventure.

I'll be back on the bike this summer, and back on my skis next winter - and I hope to ski with most of The Village at some point.

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Songfa, your report is good to hear. Bet you will be a better coach after going through this.

Keep after it guy.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by songfta View Post
    Thank you, Freaq!

It's been trying, but I'm making great strides - literally! In the past two days, I've walked (with either parallel bars or, predominantly, a walker) a little over 200 feet! I've also climbed and descended stairs using handrails. Today I even got into - and out of - a car and a bathtub (with a shower stool).

My injured leg is still a bit swollen and inflexible, but it's getting better every day: muscles coming back to live, stability, control. I still can't bear any weight on the leg - won't be able to for many more weeks - but that's giving me every reason to work on upper-body strength, something I've really liked.

I'm using a lot of visualization skills honed via ski racing to help deconstruct and reconstruct motions to help stand, sit, and walk. I'm smiling a lot, every day. I've accepted my injury and an embracing the adventure.

I'll be back on the bike this summer, and back on my skis next winter - and I hope to ski with most of The Village at some point.
    If we're not all aware that skiing is a dangerous endeavor, we darn well should be. Whether we're perfecting the simplest of drills or attempting daring do that's never been seen, we all come to grips with confidence in our ability to gather it all in and bring our healthy bodies back to the lodge at the end of the day. I think we all know though that despite our level of expertise and experience that those smiling lodge moments are not promised to us.

If I'm ever bitten by the snow snake and face a challenging recovery I can only hope to face it with the grace that you are demonstrating
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Don't get around these parts much just seeing this. How awful to suffer another catastrophic injury. Heal and be strong!
    how 'bout we just shaddap and ski?

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Glad to hear your recovery is going well, and spirits and motivation remain high. Checking in here every so often to keep tabs on you my friend.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

A quick update:

Visited my orthopedist (Dr. Scott Faucett - highly recommended doctor, former U.S. Ski Team ortho) today. Staples were removed (which feels sooooooooo good), new x-rays were taken. The rod, which runs the length of my femur, is doing well, the break starting to calcify. Still going to be many weeks before I ca bear weight, but it's all looking very, very good.

My PT and OT are going far better than anybody expected (they didn't expect my level of drive to recover). I'll be home by next Tuesday afternoon, where I'll continue outpatient PT for, well, a long time.

So... there 'ya go! It was nice to get out of the rehab hospital for a few hours today. The crisp winter air blanketing DC was invigorating.