Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Is it possible to thin out a liner?

Funny catch MR. Are you a Masters Baiter or is that one singular?
    Oh boy. I shutter to think what I may have caused.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a shop in Heeney, on Green Mt. Reservoir, called Master Bait and Tackle.

Also a liquor store in Eagle County: Beaver Liquors.

You started this, Toby.

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Honestly I really started it.

What a great store name though!
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Name:  24156645.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  29.3 KB
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Speaking of that, I hope your injury is healing fast Dave.. How is that going for you?

Toby
    Actually Toby I am healing quite well. thanks for asking. Range of motion is almost full and pain free. Certain movements they don't want me to do on a regular basis due to the type of tears I had. No rush because I am supposedly ahead of schedule knock on wood. As far as the boot goes that is just for boot heaters which I have never needed or wanted. If you have the money then the Vacuum might be the way to go. If not, try the stock Rangers, you just might be pleasantly surprised. I was!!!
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Hi Dave,

Glad your doing well!

So last week I went on a boot fitting day. I think I tried on 7 or 8 boots, including the Atomic Redsters, the HEAD raptors, even a raptor B5 rd I believe, which I understand is essentially a plug boot, a fisher sc4, A lange of some form (cant remember the model now). Some things that came to mind. ALL the boots had really nice progressive and comfortable flex. I was extremely shocked that the head B5 had a soft flex to it, Unfortunetly all the boots with the possible exception of the fischer were simply too narrow. While the shop said they can be stretched, I suspect it would be more work than its worth, especially since my curent boots are a 102 last and these average a 98 last or smaller. The one boot I thought would work great turns out to be the lange, but nobody had a 25 shell. The 26 seemed too large. Another thing I discovered that was really nice is the flex pins in the spine actually work! The Fischer for example had a 120 flex which seems skiable for me, but with the pins out, it really made a noticebilly softer flex. Such a perfect thing for me. these new shells I find are simply amazing. My only hope is that the plastics work as advertised. I've read especially in the fischers that they are not as affected by the cold. I hope that is true, because this year I am learning that stiff cold boots are my nemesis in ski improvement.

As to my current boots, The other day the shop discovered that simply pulling the flex pin completely out of the boot helped soften them up a tad. Then they trimmed maybe a quarte inch off the upper cuff and rolled it so it doesnt pinch so much in my shins. Then the fitter noticed an interesting thing, where the bottom buckle would actually make contact with the lower buckle when the boot was flexed, so we ground some material off that to offer more range of motion. It did seem to work quite well, although last weeks temperature was much warmer, maybe 33 degrees so not sure what will happen when really cold yet, but I could still see a useable improvement. My next experiment will be to cut the second band on my three band booster, thereby turning it into a one band strap. Those things appear much stiffer than I realized initially. I can't imagine trying the world cup version.

Toby
    Last edited by Toby; February 13th, 2014 at 02:02 PM.