Thread: The Nordica Fire Arrow EDT: Best Skis I've Ever Been On.

The Nordica Fire Arrow EDT: Best Skis I've Ever Been On.

Those things are awesome. I've only skied them on the groomed now, but I have never had anything that has ever rocketed me in and out of turns like these things do. It's possible to go slow on them, but they are clearly made for the type of high energy carves in which you put some power into it. If you throw some strength into it and don't manage the energy well they'll shoot you like 4 feet into the air. I'm not kidding.

If you're good at high energy, quick hard carves, you've got to try these things. If you're not good at managing lots of force and power though, these things could be pretty dangerous. They might send you flying into the trees or something.

It's really pretty amazing. I never knew a ski could be like this and I love them. It's like they were designed by NASA or something.

A lot of the time when they put new technology into skis I'm like "who knows if that actually even does anything", but with these things, all of the technology MUST be doing something because of how uniquely they work.

If you have a race background or can ski like it, get them! If you can't manage forces well, be really careful how much strength you put into your turn if you try them.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How would you compare them to a race ski? What length were you on?

I got the 176cm, but I would have gotten the 180 (the longest offered) except for the fact that my other ski is the Solomon Enduro which has the same dimensions and I have it in a 184. I wanted something quicker and different so I got the shorter one.

I skied on Slalom race skis almost exclusively up until about 2002 or something. Between then and this year I never skied on them but I also got a pair of slalom race skis this year and I found that they have changed a whole lot in the past 10 years or so. They really only want to do one thing and aren't so great for anything else. I hit my boots on the snow a lot on those things ("boot out").

The fire arrows are a whole lot different than slalom race skis. I'd say they're not similar at all. I can't compare them to GS race skis because I haven't skied on GS race skis since they were straight skis. The guy in the shop showed me a Nordica GS race ski with the "EDT" on it and it looked like it could potentially be similar, but it had a narrower waist. The fire arrow has a 84mm waist which is good for me because it reduces the potential for boot out. I have hit my boots a little even on these things so anything narrower would not be good for me for carving.

There is one thing I don't like about them which is the Marker bindings that come with the system. Marker bindings have caused me more than a few potentially life-threatening situations in the past. I hope that these are better than the last set I had. They haven't popped off for no reason yet. I hope they won't do it. The bindings only go up to 12. I had my last pair way higher than that and with every number I tried them at they'd continue to pop off. I always managed to stop on one ski but it was really dangerous and I was going fast some of the time. I had them tested and everything. I hope Markers better now.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have an older (new) pair of Elan 777s in 192 which means they have a 88mm waist unlike the other shorter 777s. They have a 28m radius and ski just like a GS ski with lots of snap when pushed. They handle soft snow nicely since they are less inclined to penetrate as much as a skinnier 'real' race ski. Your skis sound like a cheater GS version with their 18ish m radius (I looked it up earlier but forgot what the 176s have). Yours may be a bit more versatile than mine as they have a more flexible radius; 28m makes you work really hard at times.

Skis that are in the mid to upper 80s at the waist with a 20ish m radius are quite nice. I wish I had a pair. I've got lots of 88mm and some 20m radius, but nothing in the same package.

Living in a van down by the river Ski Patrol

You take these into any bumps?

How might you contrast them with a race ski? What length would you say you were on?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by '9' View Post
    Those things are awesome. I've only skied them on the groomed now, but I have never had anything that has ever rocketed me in and out of turns like these things do. It's possible to go slow on them, but they are clearly made for the type of high energy carves in which you put some power into it. If you throw some strength into it and don't manage the energy well they'll shoot you like 4 feet into the air. I'm not kidding.

If you're good at high energy, quick hard carves, you've got to try these things. If you're not good at managing lots of force and power though, these things could be pretty dangerous. They might send you flying into the trees or something.

It's really pretty amazing. I never knew a ski could be like this and I love them. It's like they were designed by NASA or something.

A lot of the time when they put new technology into skis I'm like "who knows if that actually even does anything", but with these things, all of the technology MUST be doing something because of how uniquely they work.

If you have a race background or can ski like it, get them! If you can't manage forces well, be really careful how much strength you put into your turn if you try them.
    let me take a try. even I'm afraid

I think its not as tough as you are sketching. I have experienced so many times