Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ILE or OLR

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar

ILE or OLR

Last season I was fell in love with OLR; I used it all over the mountain when on any kind of steepish groomer. I messed with extending the top of the turn after relaxing that leg; found different ways of doing that. I found this initiation especially effective in deep cut-up heavy powder on steepish stuff.

But this year I have become infatuated by ILE. This is so silly; I'm like a kid with one crush following another. Skiing makes me feel and act young, I guess.

So with that in mind, I want to ask a question of those of you who are very familiar with both of these initiations and who have years of experience with both.

When do you like to use OLR, and when do you prefer ILE?
    And why?

Hi LiquidFeet. I am familiar with both but do not have alot of technical experience with them. I do have a couple quick thoughts though. I find ILE more relaxing and if I'm tired that is the way to go. I also think ILE is a stronger foundation for higher energy turns. While I know a better trained skier can use ILE for slalom, I find it is more useful for larger GS type turns. As to OLR, I like it too. I find it offers a way to do shorter turns, especially when the terrain steepens. I find OLR interesting in that it seems to place immediate energy into the outside ski. I can feel my ski bend right away. For now, my main concern with OLR is that my legs never seem to get a chance to relax.

Toby
    Last edited by Toby; February 10th, 2014 at 02:32 AM.

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Combine the two, LF, including a forward movement component and see how that goes!!!

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
    Combine the two LF, including a forward movement component and see how that goes!!!
    Got my response covered here except to add some form of cross under. Blend and play on depending on your desired result.
    Last edited by garryz; February 10th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Blended covers how I use it; I'm never doing one or the other exclusively.

I use ILE when I'm tired almost exclusively - because that is the motion I've trained into my muscles on the stepper machine and on the inline skates.

PSIA trainers at my mountain are pushing ILE big time these days. I think they see it as a continuation of the "extend to release" approach to low dynamics skiing.

As a general approach to everything in life, I prefer not to solve any complex issue with one best solution or one right answer.
    The One and Only Way to do something is not my friend.
    Variety is the Spice of Life, ... and all that.
    So I like to keep those two initiations separate in my mind and practice, so I can feel the differences.

Rick's DVDs have a third option. He separates the three.
    Last edited by LiquidFeet; February 10th, 2014 at 09:20 PM.

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    Rick's DVDs have a third option. He separates the three.
    Isn't that more of a definition/understanding thing than a "pick one"?

He defines numerous "transitions" in the last DVD, clarifying how they differ from each other. I'd have to go find my notes to remember them all; there are many. He makes sure his viewers know the differences.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    He defines numerous "transitions" in the last DVD, clarifying how they differ from each other. I'd have to go find my notes to remember them all; there are many. He makes sure his viewers know the differences.
    Cross under, cross over, cross through.