I generally use ILE in turns of which speed of transition is not important. Nothing provides a smoother, more clear and intense feel of the roll from one set of edges to the opposite side set, or more clean and precise an initiation. The entire transition feels so acutely deliberate, as though awareness and edge feel have been enhanced by a slowdown in time. When I want to take my time and really enjoy that sensory smorgasbord of transitional awareness I extend very gently and slowly. When I want to speed the ILE transition process up a bit, I extend a little more strongly.

When I want to get quickly into the new turn I opt for OLR in a cross through version, keeping my Center of Mass at approximately the same elevation as it crosses my skis. In doing so I lose some of the feel of the edge roll and initiation that ILE provides, and it takes me a bit longer to get into a center/fore state of balance than happens with ILE, but if speed of transition is the priority it's a sacrifice deemed worthwhile.

OLR results in load being dumped onto the new outside leg, which causes it to momentarily sink as it seeks to catch and support the load. That's why a cross though transition works so well with it, where flexion of the new outside leg must happen anyway. ILE receives that load progressively, while the new outside leg is already extending, so the sink never happens. That's why it's the better choice for a cross over type transition.

The combination of ILE and OLR the guys above are referring to is simply doing both at the same time; extending the old outside leg, and flexing the old inside leg. You do them so simultaneously it's hard to distinguish which was done first. You lose a bit of the feel and precision of pure ILE, but also avoid the load dump onto the new outside ski that happens in pure OLR. The all mountain ski of ski technique, so to speak.

All three, ILE, OLR, and a blend of the two, provides a very distinctly different feel. But, that said, all are fun, and while they do carry clear situational pros and cons, they also share many instances in which they can be used interchangeably. So pick your pleasure, and when you get bored with that one, pick another. Skiing is life, and variety is the spice of life.