Thread: Strange Goings On.....?

Know all the neighbours by name Skier Village Poet Winks's Avatar

Strange Goings On.....?

So, I arrived at the ski lease last evening. Unloaded through melting ice and water at a depth higher than my hiking boots.......feet were totally soaked! Trying to dry shoes out in hot bag. Finally, got into bed and heard all kinds of "key tones" outside as if someone was trying to break into our SUV. I chose to ignore the tones and hope for the best. Got on my laptop to check email and kept getting this strange "new video player download" message that wouldn't go away unless I shut down, so I did. Woke up at 2AM and got on laptop as my sleep was disturbed (nothing new about this!) and a message popped up with an emblem of a sickle and ax (I think) saying my network configuration had changed and to hit the "ok" button. I shut down and refreshed Safari...............however, this is the strangest set of greeting events I have ever encountered. Ah, the joys of traveling alone (except for DeeDee, the Border Collie/Golden Retriever....who is actually an amazing protection dog. I wouldn't test her snarl; it's genuine! Advice anyone?

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You have another dog? That is wonderful.

Yes BP....from the same rescue as Carmen. We got her in August. H wanted to wait 3 months after Carmen's death. She's a bit smaller than C, very expressive, makes some funny but cute noises and when she senses someone as threatening to me, she has a very nasty snarl!

FYI, I now have rain boots to slog through the ice and water. Oh well...As for the internet stuff...my network configuration has changed from the wifi at home. Duh! However..the weird videomaker message that wouldn't go away unless I installed it and the weird app w/the sickle and axe was pretty strange. And would the people from Nigeria who keep insisting they want to give me $45 million please go away...??

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is some weird stuff on the computer. Hopefully you don't have a virus or something. We'll keep our fingers crossed that all goes well with that.

Your new pup sounds awesome. I am so glad you have her. I am sure she will bring you tons of love and joy and I know Carmen is very happy about her too, smiling down from doggy heaven.
    Maybe you can post a pic. It sounds like she is very cute.

Thanks BP! I will post a pic of us on adoption day (once I'm home again)! She has already brought much love & joy...! Thanks for the comment re:Carmen. Still miss that doggie but very happy to have added DeeDee to our family.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What kind of computer? Do you have anti-virus software on your computer? If so, run a full system scan. What you are describing is malware or PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Your computer is likely compromised and any data on it at risk. Seriously; I'm serious and the threats are serious.

The first thing is probably just trying to get your money from a single 'purchase' of something you don't want or need but they could also be trying to steal your credit card information to steal more than just the stated 'price'.

The second thing is likely surreptitiously trying to get you install software that likely will have negative consequences.

If you don't have anti-virus software installed, you probably won't be able to install any as either or both of the attacks may be able to prevent the installation. Let me know if you need further information. Best of luck.