Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guess what I did today! :0)

Thread: Guess what I did today! :0)

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guess what I did today! :0)

I had a great time today. Brother came over for a little bit and we went to the mountain bike park where we hike and where Hubby and I mountain bike sometimes. I wanted to do something kind of mellow because I banged my head on a cinder block wall on Monday and I still have some residual headaches. I don't think I have a concussion but just in case I had a little one I did not want to do too much.

But the last time we went for a hike Brother told me some climbing stories so I had an urge to try to climb the boulders in the park. I had never climbed rocks like that or boulders before. Even though they were very much baby boulders they were perfect for my first climb. They were small enough for a first timer yet challenging enough to make it a task that took a bit of effort and figuring out, just the right combination of skill level and size for me to be challenged yet not overwhelmed. So Brother climbed ahead of me and then helped me find the right footholds and hand holds and I made it all the way up! He is actually a very good and very experienced climber so he could have done this backwards in his sleep with his hands tied behind his back. But I think he had a blast watching me figure it out and seeing me overjoyed that I was able to do this. I think I may have been bitten by the climbing bug as well because I can't wait to do it again.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; October 8th, 2014 at 02:05 PM.

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Got pictures?

Blog Entries
    I wish. Of course it was the one time I did not bring my camera. But the next time I go I will take some so you can see the boulders.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    I used to love bouldering. Next comes top roping. Any climbing facilities where you climb a wall? Good place to start, think you'd like it.

So, that old saying about banging your head against a wall feels so good when you stop, you're here to tell us it ain't true!
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I was thinking all I need now is another addictive sport I can't afford!! I had actually tried a rock wall once a few years ago. I only made it half way up. Brother explained to me that it's because when you first start you don't know how to isolate your muscles to conserve energy so tend to tighten up your whole body with each step and you can easily get exhausted. I enjoyed the wall but really loved the boulders. I think the whole thing of being outside in a natural and beautiful environment really made a difference. And unlike the wall I had climbed at the YMCA, the boulder was just so much more interesting. It had life. I had to make my first climbs up a small space in between two boulders and then shift when I got to the top of that and use a different approach for the top set which was an exposed face. Even though they were really small and very much beginner level, it was amazing how much I had to figure out and how my approach had to change with each step. With the wall it was a lot higher but basically the same move each step. And I loved the textures and the colors of the rock and the moss and lichen growing on it. I never felt the strong urge in the sense that I could not wait to get back to try the wall again but I am really excited about doing boulders again.

I think as far as Autism meltdowns go, it's the opposite of the old saying. Headbangs feel great when you are doing them and then they hurt like heck when you're done!

Blog Entries
    Here are pictures of my boulders that I climbed. I started at that green patch down at the bottom below between the two boulders so first I had to climb all the way up this part between them.

Then I had to cross over to this one and climb up to the fence.

I could have gone to the ground without climbing the second boulder because of how the hill comes up there but then I would have not been able to get up to the fence as easily to get back onto the lookout. I don't know why these pictures always double when I post them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple more pics of the boulders and also pics of the view of from the top of the highest one.

Attached Images Attached Images