Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Waist Steering and Tai Chi

Waist Steering and Tai Chi

Is anyone here in town playing with this. I followed a thread off a You Tube video to a guy's website. Interesting, I think, the video and text on the website was as clear as mud.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    I remember this as a topic several years back, but haven't heard anything about it since. It gained little traction.
    But that doesn't mean it isn't worthy of attention.

I saw it on youtube after watching one of the racing videos someone posted. Basically it was a guy who claimed it is what Liggety is doing and he thought Liggety was getting credit for something he invented. His website is a mess but their is an endorsement by CR on there so I thought I'd ask.

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Do you have a link to this? Are you talking about driving the outside hip in a turn? Trying to lay claim to that sounds like saying you created ski tips.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    I agree about the mud. Havn't seen a good explanation of what waist steering actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Do you have a link to this? Are you talking about driving the outside hip in a turn? Trying to lay claim to that sounds like saying you created ski tips.
    The website is...get a grip on yourself...waisteteering.com. The closest thing to an explanation on there is "turn your waist left to turn left". Frankly, I believe Elvis invented that

Sounds like rotating into the turn.
    Yes, it works. Do I want to use that to motor my turns?
    No.

I am just not sure. The video on his website or fuzzy and not close up enough and lack voice over commentary. I took a couple of Tai Chi classes last century and I THINK what he is using core muscles to power the Pivot and less foot steering. keeping the hips more square to the direction the skis are being directed. Since he points to Liggety's technique so often, I guess I assume this isn't a transitional move but a steering move in arc to arc or pivot-to-carve. (BTW where does the 'st' in "stivot" come from? I assume the "ivot" portion does not find its root in the word "divot"). Tip lead was noticeably small and it looked like the inside was rotated open so thighs and lower leg appeared uniformly parallel in the demo video bu tI don't necessarily see that in the Liggety graphics I've seen in the forum. So, I guess all this means...I dunno

I am hoping CR will weigh in on this. It's been out there for a while so I am sure if it was the huge breakthrough we have all been waiting for, it would be all over industry news and Rossi would be at SIA unveiling the new Buddha line of belly steering skis.

Perhaps the writer/promoter is confused with how his baby "waist steering" fits into the verbiage on counter. PSIA gave up on Counter as a term; they rarely use it, except in the phrase "ski into counter." Which could be called "ski until rotated into the next turn," if you were a stickler for precision definitions.

So there is fuzziness and a potential for devolving into arguments when discussing counter in different phases of a turn. I think the fine points of contention get attention mostly when the issue is skiing technically well on hard snow (in a race, at speed, or on steepish hard snow groomers in the east/midwest).

Does this jive with your experience?

There was one tai chi move I remember that may be the one this guy shows where you get in position sort of crouched on one foot and turn your lower body back and forth using core muscles. I assume that's what this guy is talking about. Almost seems like an "anti-counter move? I dunno. I would like to figure this out just so I can go try it. Trying different things is fun, yes? May not be useful but sometimes the most fun is had doing useless things