Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Waist Steering and Tai Chi

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    I was involved with Tommy and his partner for awhile. Tried to help them shape the technique into a form that I felt had merit. The basic premise is using the core muscles to direct a rotary force to the outside ski, which hyper engages the front of the ski, and drives the outside ski through the turn. When you do it, it's a very different feeling, and it truly does feel like you're propelling the outside ski forward as it goes through the turn, as opposed to just standing on it. It's a worthy technique to play around with. It does generate a sensation you'll likely find appealing. I found it so.

It's not rotation in the traditional sense, because you do not actually rotate the upper body in the direction of the turn. The force you create travels down through the leg and into the ski, without the upper body need to change directional orientation in relation to the skis.

I tried in vain to get Tommy to change his position on weighting the inside ski while doing this, telling him that just wont work well, and that the the technique still works with predominant weight on the outside ski. I see from his latest youtube video that he's still sticking to his guns on it though.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Rick, how do you do this thing?

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Sounds just a quite a bit like anticipation. Jobert would have liked parts of this. Why do we keep trying to reinvent this stuff?
    When nothing goes right; go left.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    If that rotary force passes through the leg it kind of sound like knee-drive?

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    Rick, how do you do this thing?
    A bit tough to explain with a keyboard, LF, but I'll give it a go. Do you do any paddling sports; kayak or canoe? If you do, you'll know how you paddle with your core muscles, not your arms. You recruit the same muscle group for this, but nothing actually rotates. You transmit the force you create in the core, down through the legs via functional tension. It produces a twisting force that goes into the ski, and makes it feel as though it's jetting forward as the arc sharpens. It sharpens because the front of the ski hyper loads as a result of the rotary force being imposed on it, and also because I believe that same rotary force creates an undetectable steering effect.

If you guys would like, I could contact Tommy and see if he'd like to stop by the Village and explain it better to you. He has a full progression to teach it on snow. I've taught it via that progression, but it's been several years, and my recollection of the details of it are a bit fuzzy now. Plus, it's Tommy's baby, and I'd rather let him do it justice.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Sounds just a quite a bit like anticipation. Jobert would have liked parts of this. Why do we keep trying to reinvent this stuff?
    Not really an anticipation thing, Stranger. The body remains quite square as you execute this. Anticipation requires a big amount of counter at the end of the turn, which is held throughout the transition. This doesn't involve that position.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jamt View Post
    If that rotary force passes through the leg it kind of sound like knee-drive?
    If we're talking about the same thing, knee drive feels different to me when I do it. Knee drive feels more like it's being generated in the legs, and the knees angulate somewhat and point into the turn. In Waiststeering, the legs are just a solid unit conduit.

Should I get Tommy, jamt?

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Yes, please.

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tommy can you hear me?
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    Tommy can you hear me?
    Nothing sadder than an aging Who fan
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"