Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a mid-fat this year....

Looking for a mid-fat this year....

I am looking to buy something in the 105mm range with a cut of 25m or less. I had a chance to ride a pair of Soul7s last year and really liked them but I thought I might ask around here to see what folks might have on their feet. Whatever it is it needs to have serious crud creds. Lost Trail Powder Mountain lives up to the name. Notice there is nothing in the name about grooming. On-piste conditions can stay very off-piste for days. Love the shortish E88s I use for teaching but they aren't much in harbor chop. Even groomed, our snow stays pretty soft so edge hold isn't as much of a concern as it might be elsewhere. They have been adding new glade and tree skiing the last year and more coming this year, so I'd like to have a little more fun when I have a chance.

Read the SKI reviews. In their terms I guess my priorities are crud then stability. We have a few runs where one the upper Blue is groomed and the lower Black section sometimes is and sometimes not. Problem is you can't see until you get there. So you really have to either stop or be really prepared for anything. I had trouble making that transition at speed. The sudden deceleration and differential in centripetal force between feet really highlighted the need for more work at the gym.

I also will throw my retraction regarding the E88 in here. The pair that I rode were demos out of the rental shop and short at 172cm. I can't do the splits like I used to and having to wedge backwards all day on 188 VXLs found me catching my tails on each other. I wound up buying the 172cm E88s from the rental shop because they solved that problem nicely and are more maneuverable when you have to hop skip and jump around students. I remembered them feeling indecisive at early in the turns, and tails like steel rail. but I decided I could put up with it for the convenience of length and rocker for switching and demoing slips and such.

Our first big dump after I bought them I thought I would try moving my boot back on the ski a bit. That's the only nice feature of a dang 15lbs Rossi rental binding. WHAT??!! I says to myself. When I looked closely at the binding, whenever the rental shop mounted them they put the left one on 3/4" behind the mark and the right one almost 7/8". Yikes!! SO I tinkered with the bindings so that both boots are centered over the marks and PRESTO! I owned a brand new pair of skis

You rike happy ending, Mistah? You betcha I do. Although according to the Rossi Length-weight chart, 172 is way short for me at 6'1 205, I don't see the need. When I just want to tip and rip on our mountain's groomers they rail and they are fairly quick edge to edge. they smear really nicely too. All that wishy washy feel is gone and I can now load up the tails at the end of a turn without having to clamp them in a bench vice first. The are (now) four years old and the top skins are carped up from, ya know, being rentals, but once I got all the top skin separations glued back down, I love em. I am running 2 degs on the side and 1 deg on the base. They work fine in soft powder but in the heavier stuff they sink under foot with 205 lbs pressing down between those wide tips and tails. No such much of a problem but I have to remind myself to narrow my stance and keep it there.

So, SORRY Rossi! haven't skied them on eastern plate yet but I highly recommend them for western users in anything but really deep heavy pow.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Bumping this thread, hoping some Villagers might have some input on skis in this family.

MG, I have a pair of Blizzard "The ONE" that I love. They're only 98 underfoot, but I found it very fun, comfortable and competent in everything I skied it in. Keep in mind, though, this was my first venture away from the 65 underfoot slalom ski that I used to use to ski everything, so anything was bound to feel better off piste. Still, really love the ski.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Thanks CR, I will give them a look. One of my criteria is something not too close to the E88s or the VXLs I am on. I can ski anywhere I care to in them but I might find more joy on something fatter and longer, with some rocker and some better tip shape. Mostly I want them for my free time, but when I do get a student skiing fats, things go more smoothly if I am similarly mounted. I won't be managing the rental shop this year so going down and just grabbing the Super 7s isn't an option. dang it! I didn't need a quiver last year. We had Soul7s and Super7s. Loved em both. I might go with the Soul7s. the side cut makes them a little more playful on the groomers. Mostly it's because I can buy them thru the resort for $575 and that includes a pair of Rossi 120 Axium bindings. That's more than $100 less than the Rossi Pro Offer for the same gear. I just hate that the graphics look like Rossi hired Crayola to design them

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    If you are skiing with them where you should be you will never see the graphics cuz they will be buried in snow. You won't beat that price with bindings anywhere. Maybe just a ski at that price. That ski won a lot of awards and from a bunch of my patroller friends have come rave reviews, not just hype. Jump in and take a chance mtguide you come around this way only once. If you don't like them you can more than make up your money by selling them. And remember my old adage, you only date a ski, you marry a boot!!!!! Hope this helps since I already helped you find your wife!!
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    I'm with Dave, sounds like a great deal to jump on. Very good reviews on the ski, and better differentiation than the 98 underfoot ski I mentioned. My only concern would be the 17 m radius, and if that would make the ski a bit twitchy if you wanted to do some high speed arcing on the steep and deep. But likely not something you're going to be doing anyway with your senior groups. And I might be wrong about that anyway. Anyone have any input in regards to that? Dave?
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

To CR and daveski...Absolutely an insane deal. That's the price the rental shop buys them at. Management is kind enough to sell to employees without a mark up. CR is correct. I skied the demos last year but all the 180s were out so I was on 172s. They are more twitchy than the Super7 but not alarmingly so. It just forces to stay focused on a stable upper half in the crud. Powder and lightly tracked powder they were fine. They have done a lot of logging up there the past couple of years to open more tree skiing. Its nice but pretty tight still. The Soul7 really shines in there because they are quicker edge to edge than the Supr7. I will most likely buy some Soul7s it's a great ski for the price but I don't have to make a commitment on them for a couple more weeks so O wanted to tap the expertise sitting around the whiskey barrel at Dave's Skis, Boots & Beer

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought my Soul7's with Marker Griffons, including mounting for $650 Pro deal.

It's a great ski, I love it. I actually like the graphics too, and I do see the skis. First of all Dave I see them on the chairlift after all - and skiing them on soft groomers is plenty fun.

I'd love to have a pair of E88's or maybe E84's (new this year) for my teaching and hard snow ski. Currently on Blizzard Magnum 8.0 CA's which have a lot of days on them and might be getting a little soft (like their owner.)
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

SMJ, Is the Griffon one of there plastic bindings? I am very leery of Marker. Being the primary tech in the ski shop the last couple years and dealing with problems on the mountain in classes, I have seen a lot of release issues and out right broken bindings in really cold weather. No matter I suppose. If I go with the Soul7s They come with Rossi 120s on them and that's that. I bought a 3 year old pair of E88s out of our rental shop last year to teach on and I love them. Even though they are only 172, they have plenty of edge hold and are really quick edge to edge. They do that without being twitchy even if I am skiing more two-footed. I also demo'd Volkl RTM 84s last year and the year before. I loved those even more, but I got the E88s for $100 so....The RTM 84 is insanely quick and the edges hook up really hard at crazy edge angles so if you have a chance to ski them, give them a look. The Pro deal is in the same price range as the E88.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's plastic. It's a solid binding. I have it on both pairs of skis. http://www.skis.com/Marker-Griffon-S...efault,pd.html

I would like to try the RTM84 as well, I think it's more rockered with less camber than the Experience series. E84 is new this year and both it and the E88 are redesigned and now have the air tip like on the Soul7. Seems like a great ski.

The reviewers say the 84 is more for aspiring intermediates and lower level experts, but I don't know if that's accurate.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Blog Entries
    You might also take a look at the Kendo.

Soul 7 isn't a mid-fat, but it's so easy to ski and really doesn't feel fat to me, it's nice having a platform to stand on and yet it is so playful and quick turning that it doesn't feel sluggish underfoot at all. It's really fun.