Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for a mid-fat this year....

Living in a van down by the river Ski Patrol
    105mm waisted skis with radius < 25m are possibly the biggest sweet spot in the industry. Every company, and I mean every company makes one of these (if not more) and they all get great reviews…it's damn near can't miss.

As far as the Soul 7 goes, I think the only reason not to buy this ski is that you might get annoyed seeing everybody else on the same ski. It's a runaway hit, but for very good reason.

Alternatives I have skied an liked:
    Head Collective
    Head Rev 105
    K2 Shreditor 102
    Line Supernatural 105
    Liberty Helix
    Icelantic Nomad RKR (Wonderful ski, but it actually measures closer to 110mm in the waist and not the listed 105)

There are many, many others (Blizzard Scout, Nordica El Capo, etc) that all seem to get rave reviews.

The best reviews of skis of this size or ilk are on Blister Gear Reviews (best review site on the web…including Realskiers, which I love, but these guys, with the products they target, are the best).

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    You might also take a look at the Kendo.

Soul 7 isn't a mid-fat, but it's so easy to ski and really doesn't feel fat to me, it's nice having a platform to stand on and yet it is so playful and quick turning that it doesn't feel sluggish underfoot at all. It's really fun.
    He already has the Elan 88 waisted ski I think when he refers to midfat it is different than what we think of based on location and type of snow. If anythimg the Mantra that is 98 I believe but I think the Soul is more up his alley.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

The air tip should make the E series even quicker. I hope the rental shop ordered some so I can try them out. 88 is considered narrow here and the E88s they have don't get rented too often. Like a lot of people, I was really skeptical of a full rocker carving ski. I rode a pair and as quick as the E88 is the RTM is quicker. The edge release sensation is something you have to experience. And they hook up early and hard. I can see anyone of any skill level benefiting nicely from owning either E88s or the RTM. Conditions are so soft most of the time out here that even on groomers, a solid carving ski just is too limited.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

Even the Mantra is considered to much of a "groomer" ski though I think a lot of that is people fantasizing about the skier they want to be. Now that they did the redesign to full-rocker, I really want to load up a pair. I used to think of it as a fat GS ski. I rode a pair of 2013's and really like them.

daveski7 is correct. "Fat" starts at 120mm around here so even the Shiro is sort of category bridge at 119mm. I was really wanting the Nordica Helldorado but there is no Pro Offer so they are out of the budget. I still am giving, Shiro and Gotama another look. Whatever it is it needs serious crud skills.

Sman! thanks. I wonder why Blister hasn't shown up on my web searches. Seems like all I get is SKI and Epic...pablum for the masses....