Thread: Old knees

Old knees

Hey there young'uns. Hows bout some advice for a worn out old slider. I love skiing on my inside ski, just leaning in and putting all my weight on it. Both my skis on the snow, but the outside one not doing much but going along for the ride. Lately this has been hurting my old geezer knees. Why? Two things seem to help. If I put some weight on the other ski it gets better. And this one really stirs the stuffing in my head, if I lift the outside ski it gets better too. Don't that beat all?
    Last edited by Gramps; November 3rd, 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Generally good skiing is considered to have the majority of the weight on the outside ski. The outside leg is longer and straighter and that is easier on the knees. If you lift the outside the inside can become longer so I suppose it could lead to reduced knee stress, but it would also put you in position that is much more difficult to balance in.

Knee pain is often associated with bad alignement. Have you checked it with a good boot fitter?

Is there a specific location of the pain? Do you have knee pain doing any other non-skiing activities? I have some knee issues that aren't needing surgery as yet but I bought two hinged braces a couple years ago and they help quite a bit. The added benefit is that the neoprene in the braces also help keep my entire lower leg and feet warmer. I also agree with JAMT but depending on the source of the pain you and I may just be having Geezer issues. Bone erosion, less flexible ligaments and disfunction of bursis cells are facts of aging. Get your alignment checked, bet some quality knee supports and have your doctor look into it.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

Living in a van down by the river Ski Patrol
    Regardless of technique….knee pain is sometimes one of those things that finds everyone…consider the price of a life well lived (and check with an ortho guy….a few X-rays might answer a few questions whether it's technique or arthritis…that's just how it goes). My right knee has gotten all buggered up. I'm light and fit, but it doesn't matter, bone is bone and determined by the magical elixir of genetics and past trauma.

Thank you Jamt. I see what you mean about my inside leg getting longer when I lift the outside. Never dawned on me by jiminy, but now that I think about it you're right, that happens. I got used to weighting my inside ski because it lets me stand straighter so I don't have to bend sideways as much, which is the only way I seem to be able to get weight to my outside foot. This old battle ship body don't bend so well no more, so it doesn't feel good. Is there another way to skin this kitty, to weight my outside foot without having to turn my old self into a pretzel? Seems either way I go is a struggle.

mtguide1, the pain is somewhere under the kneecap. Some problems with it outside of skiing, but when I ski this way it really sets it off, the dog don't hunt.

Superbman pointed me toward skidoctors.com. There method of skiing is balanced over the uphill ski. Give it a look. The guy's name is John Clendenin and he has a couple videos up on You Tube. I am working to develop a seniors program out here and I like the Kool Aid he's pouring )
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"