Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Melbourne Cup
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Cup

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar

Melbourne Cup

Not sure who was following this but anyway.

Race won by the German horse Protectionist in a fantastic run with Ryan Moore on board doing a great job.

Sadly the favourite the Japanese horse Admire Rakti ran dead last. On the way back to the yards was having issues... got not the stall collapsed and died...

Then some FOOL of a spectator waved a flag in Araldo's face on HIS way back to the stalls - he reared, kicked a fence and broke a leg. He has been raced to veterinary hospital to have a bone pinned in an attempt to save him.

(best pic I could find he is the middle horse)

All in all a terribly sad cup.
    Last edited by Little Tiger; November 3rd, 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Araldo could not be saved. Was put down also once the vets got a good look at him - broken postern bone.

Looks as though Admire Rakti suffered heart failure. Easiski tells me one of her horses once had same issue but not when she was riding him.

I'm glad I wasn't watching it.

Nothing to see thank goodness...

Admire Rakti was running second then just dropped back through the field... was unclear why... but that happens if they hurt a foot, get tired etc it is a long race and it has happened before....

Then just as they were interviewing all the folks connected with Protectionist the message came through that AR had collapsed as he got back to his stall. Green screens already in place to shield him from view. The head vet would have been with him (due to dropping back) but was not because he had been called to tend to Araldo who had by then kicked the fence. Again he was limping back as was taken straight to vet hospital so nothing to see really.

VRC has already changed the way the horses return so they do not have to be near idiots. Flags of size have been banned and all flags are not to be in horse areas. They will examine getting a horse defibrillator - the only thing that may have saved AR. May not be practical.

The idiot flag waver was caught on camera and was totally unrepentant when others in the crowd told him off for scaring the horse... was pulling the "I've done this for years so there" line...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tiger View Post
    ...The idiot flag waver was caught on camera and was totally unrepentant when others in the crowd told him off for scaring the horse... was pulling the "I've done this for years so there" line...
    What a moron. Anyone knows that thoroughbreds are highly strung, and susceptible to injury too.

My grandfather owned a horse called All Jeep which won The Metropolitan, a Group 1 race in Sydney 1952, first place prize money today about $400K.

He wasn't ever the same after that effort apparently.
    Last edited by Hacski; November 6th, 2014 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typo

Oh I remember hearing what it was with All Jeep. After finishing he coughed up blood - the effort had torn blood vessels in his lungs.

PS. I'm not sure but maybe he was never the same because he ended up being put down, I vaguely recall hearing something to that effect.
    Last edited by Hacski; November 7th, 2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: PS

In between running data jobs remotely today I did some web surfing Mr Google to find out a bit more about my grandfather's horses. All Jeep had won another Group (3) race and a few years earlier he had another horse which won the Epsom Handicap, George Main Stakes and the Caulfield Stakes plus others, maybe $1.75mill in today's prize money. Never knew all that.

Hacski

You have a racing background

Yeah guy waving flag definitely a sandwich short of picnic... Stupid stupid stupid behaviour near horses - let alone a thoroughbred racehorse. Even Rocky knows how to behave around horses better than that!

Country tracks as a kid hanging around with my Dad LT on Saturdays, race day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacski View Post
    Country tracks as a kid hanging around with my Dad LT on Saturdays, race day.
    Nice - I had fun in Stawell when my other pharmacist was the wife of a property owner. Her son was the local Vet, hubby and boys had some horses of course...

She would take me to the local races and tell me which horses look good in the mounting yard... Country races are nice... but hey even Melbourne races were nice years ago before the drunken yahoos took over