Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Season Resolutions

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar

New Season Resolutions

Going into a new ski season, anyone have any goals, skills, drills, milestones they're shooting for this coming year that they'd like to share?
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Be SAFE!!

Improve my bump skiing

Try to like trees

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Trees are huge for me (in more ways than one.) Bumps are related, but trees are special. Like hiking in the woods instead of walking on a boulevard.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Me too SMJ... my favourite thing is Australia is skiing through the trees...

Build more finesse into all my BERP moves and push my skiing down into my boots where it belongs once and for all. Expand my slipping drill repertoire to include doing balanced and centered both uphill and downhill skis. Single footed Pivot-slips. and single foot 360s, LTE LTE LTE. Get my CoM pointing in the direction of momentum (too much counter is a hang over from my old days) Listen to what Pythagoras is telling me That's the first week...let's see......
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

mtguide - do those narrow track first half wide track second half turns too - they are fun an enlightening... and great for students that don't like speed...

I do something like that I think.The slip starts narrow and gets wider until you are facing uphill., then slide back, pivot and go the other way?

Nah - just make steered turn... say for example medium radius on steeper pitch of training terrain(ie whatever they drill on pick a slightly steeper bit of it)... then at the apex turn it into a wide track steer (ski tip pointing more into turn than in direction of travel but you are still skiing the same shape turn as before)...

Helps them to feel how to the skid can slow you down, and gives them the ability to feel the top of turn acceleration without needing to ride it out... Can be good on a steepish pitch for a nervous skier.

Helps students to work some on narrow and wide track turns first... so they learn to be able to do the wide track part.

When they learn to be able to switch(you can do it the opposite way too - start wide track and finish narrow or carve) they suddenly discover they can shut down any turn as they like. Opens doors to faster skiing.

Ask Coach Rick for more info - I'm not as good at this but he uses it to great effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mtguide1 View Post
    I do something like that I think.The slip starts narrow and gets wider until you are facing uphill., then slide back, pivot and go the other way?

I like those too though

I am sort of a believer that slippin around in any old movement is beneficial for lots of effective movement so I just go have fun with it. You all remember my being on here a few years ago trying to update my skiing and all the stuff I went thru with different transitions and getting some early edge angle? Well, I got so focused on that I almost forgot how to ease around on flattened skis startin to shape turns with a slip very early in a turn, feather edges, very the steering angle. Carving is great gun but not effective in off-piste or moguls or heavy crud or fresh pow.