Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Season Resolutions

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Here you go. The Norwegain drill.
    aka White Pass Turn, White Pass Lean.
    You'll find her doing a bunch of drills with this one on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFVUilTjq4

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacski View Post
    My resolution is to get the balance on the inside leg drill on DVD1 under my belt. With four weeks in CO coming up, including two at Breckenridge, half the conditions are in place. With MrsH and her sister along but just them that means the ideal setup for the other half, i.e. I won't be anti-social just spending the time by myself.

Naturellment I will be extra pleased to achieve more but I don't want to make that a resolution.

Hacski,

I'd like to suggest leaving that drill for now... Do the leap frog thing and return to it later- or even slip little bits of it in as play or in odd moments... but switch your main focus away from the Basic Balance for now...

I still struggle with that drill... I need to master it now(and I'm getting there)... I've always found it hard - Ok for me all balance stuff is pretty tricky... but that aside...

Work your way through all the Basic Edging drills... the turn shape variations and edge control stuff really changes your skiing a lot... You can go back and do more Basic Balance after you get those nailed...

Quote Originally Posted by cjc View Post
    Resolution # 1- Become thoroughly informed about the drills and exercises that Ms Shiffrin performed in her training that allowed her to achieve the spectacular inside leg recovery in that slalom race last year. I am told that the main drill is called the "Norwegian Drill", possibly named that at the Burke Academy she attended. A video can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...m-results.html
    Do any Village members have video or text that explains the training that goes into this kind of recovery move? Is it known by other names?
    Resolution # 2 – Practice all of the above.

Have you got Coach Rick's DVDs? - you will find a heap of those drills in there... By the time you get up to Advanced Edging there is one ski with movement fore and aft in there to work on... the whole bunch are in an organised progression with hints on how to succeed...

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
    Here you go. The Norwegain drill.
    aka White Pass Turn, White Pass Lean.
    You'll find her doing a bunch of drills with this one on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFVUilTjq4

Nice

You can also ease into White Pass turns by starting with side slips. As you slip down the hill push the uphill ski under you until you are balanced over it and using the uphill ski to control your speed. Then transfer balance/center back to the downhill ski, rinse, repeat. Once you are comfortable with that you can play Falling Leaf on the uphill ski. Try pivot-slips from the uphill ski. As soon as the turn begins start slowly transferring balance/center to the new inside ski as the turn progresses so that you are balanced and centered over it at the bottom of the turn.

When you do these the outside ski will be sort of riding close to the inside ski because there is no pressure on it. That's OK. It will be close and handy for the next turn. From the balanced/centered on the uphill ski all you have to do is tip the downhill ski downhill and that will initiate the turn in the other direction.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Hey mtguide, what you describe doesn't sound like a white pass/norwegian turn. If you're on the uphill/inside ski at the end of the turn and you enter the next turn without changing skis, that's the opposite of a white pass.

White pass/Norwegian has you start and enter the turn on the downhill/old outside ski. The old inside/uphill ski stays in the air until the skis come around the corner. Decidedly hard to do for me. I can do them with a weak steering action, but it's pathetic. Doing them with a clean carve, a la Michaela, is on my list for the first half of this season.

Didn't mean to imply that it was. Its means to develop comfort being balanced and centered on the inside/uphill ski LTE and adds valuable tools to the box. You can go slow with these nice brushed round turns and get used to the sensations in your feet while controlling speed. White Pass is hard. the way she is doing them at speed and carving requires a lot of inclination and more movement of CoM. These feel pretty much like any other slip or pivot slip drill except you are over the uphill ski. It's a way to build skills on the LTE and build up to White Pass. In the mean time, the ability to use the LTE works everywhere on the mountain on piste or off, especially off. Carving is a groomer only go-fast deal. the point of either exercise is to begin learning that there are 4 edges on your skis and they are all useful.

here's an interview with the US Women's speed team from a couple years ago

Here's another. It is hard to see but these people are beginning to re-center over the new inside ski almost immediately after initiation in a gradual move that has them centered and balanced over it by the time they get to the apex. Superbman suggested I look into this for the last three weeks while waiting for the ski area to open ( and my new bionic left eye to heal) I have been doing this stuff in my yard, amazing stuff. If you want to turn it into a White Pass you can raise that outside leg up anytime.

There are a few more videos on you tube and their website is clendeninmethod.com/. Bumps for Boomers is a growing company that has schools in CO and have branched out in to the east as well. Joe Nevin who started that company learned their method from Clendenin. It is particularly handy in steeps. When you are over that downhill/outside foot your inside leg can be deeply flexed. If you are balance/centered over the inside, you can stand tall on both skis

Last edited by mtguide1; December 4th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    My overarching goal: no repeat of #projectfemur!

I'm trying to get in 30 days. That would be my highest total in decades.