Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Origin of Uphill/downhill ski

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Rick View Post
    Try one foot skiing, then shed your poles and try again. You'll quickly discover how much you depend on them for touch/drag/whiskers usage
    So funny, I can't hardly do one footed drills with pole touches. Seems to pull my upper body down the hill before I can get that ski under me. Something to work on...
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Rick View Post
    I also use as a training wheel for learning inside ski balance
    A few years ago when I was trying to teach myself to carve a turn, my upper half would get too far inside, too early and that inside pole definitely caught me more than once. Just a millisecond of stabilizing pressure so my skis had time to come around under me.

As far as pole dragging drills for shoulder leveling, I had trouble with that early on. Mostly, I think it was turning with too much inclination and that resulted in a lot of gross manipulations of CoM to get a new turn started. I used to ski around with my arms straight out to the sides like and airplane just to be more aware of what that angle was. Shoulder and hip angles are another reason I am such a fan of pivot slips. Seems I can't do them with any grace if those angles aren't right and I am not skiing from the boot up.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"