Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What works for me.... tell me what works for you :)

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I hope to have video today or tomorrow. Yup, big angles on 123mm skis. They have a short radius (in the teens), Marker Dukes and a new ceramic tune. Pretty awesome fun for anything the hill throws my way. And the hard pack is CO hard pack. Still edgeable.

Blog Entries

SnowFan took this video on my first run at Breck today. It was a bit crowded by the time I was able to ski. A less encumbered venue would have resulted in faster skiing with a better opportunity for big strong angles. My 'steps' are smaller than what I described in my previous post and a bit more forced from the reduced speed.

The skiing I was describing was done at higher speeds than I could get to today. The outside leg gets very long in most turns. I was also relying on the inside ski for balance at times. Balancing on the outside ski is easier when going faster. More outside ski pressure also helps keep the strong edge working in the snow.

Thanks to Snowfan for getting the video. It turned out nicely.

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    I describe this movement as raising the inside foot off the snow without taking the ski off the snow. It results in the hip moving more inside. I got this from a PSIA magazine article years ago. It's much more dramatic on today's equipment, especially if the inside knee moves more and more inside.

Blog Entries
    That is an apt description, Kneale.

Quote Originally Posted by mastersracer View Post
    Not at this time, CR. I don't have a videographer at the moment. It has been fun playing on the harder snow and finding what works. Tomorrow I may ski with snowfan. Maybe I can get him to take some video with my phone.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that the slopes are like concrete MR.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Nice video, MR, looks like you're having a blast with those turns. How cool, doing it on 123 underfoot skis. Never have to worry about boot-out, aye?

Here's a thought on something to add to the mix next time. Looks like you may be be getting your hips close to the snow via a combination of tipping, and flexing the outside leg. In other words, getting your hips closer to your feet by crunching up. Try flexing the inside leg as you are, but keeping the outside leg long, and the tipping side of the equation will automatically increase.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    The longer outside leg is what I was missing when watching the video.

Blog Entries
    I agree about getting a longer outside leg.

I'll try another video when the crowds don't restrict my speed.

Here is a video of Chris Knight talking about being the speed coach for US women's team. I like what he is saying about keeping the feet under center being efficient and allowing to push harder on the new outside ski early in the turn. It jibes with something I saw Ligety explaining in a video. If I can find that one I'll post it too. I suspect that the active pushing on the new outside ski helps keep the leg long too and allows the inside leg to tip out of the way inside and let the inside ski determine equal angles.
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

I am with CR on the whole slip/steering angle thing. When everyone here was helping me learn to use the shaped ski and carving turns with them, I took that technique into our heavy crud and pow and it just wasn't working well. That high edge angle would cause massive flexing and deflexing in the skis as they work throw various densities of snow. When the feet were too wide (9"+for me) the differential flex/deflex was hard to manage and tiring. By narrowing and working a soft edge and slipping things were a lot easier when conditions get 3D. Now, when a client talks about control issues or problems with bumps or crud or pow, I take them straight to a blue groomer and get them slipping and developing finesse a low edge angles then take that into whatever terrain or conditions were giving them problems. So far, the breakthroughs have been pretty consistent(crossing fingers while knocking on wood can be painful)
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"