Thread: Might be at Ski Liberty on Tuesday

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Might be at Ski Liberty on Tuesday

I might be going to Ski Liberty this Tuesday afternoon. Hubby and a friend of ours are thinking about going there to snowboard so I might join them. If anyone else will be there I would love to hook up if I end up going.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Sadly, I'm not at Liberty on weekdays. But the place is skiing really nicely right now - hope you are enjoying it!

Blog Entries
    Oh Songfta, I am so sorry I could not meet you. I met one of your kids though and she told me you are not there during the week. I wish I could have enjoyed it. It ended up being a nightmare. I think you could have saved me from disaster if you had been there. But maybe there will be a next time if I can get to ski with you. Please forgive my blog entry. I just wrote it like I experienced it but my perceptions are warped because of my personal struggles. I know that Liberty is a wonderful place for those who like it. If you love Liberty, don't read my blog entry. But Songfta if I get to ski with you I might try it again.

I have to be honest though, I did actually enjoy it once last year but it was on a weekday morning and that made it a very different place. I do best in the mornings even at Roundtop. I get way overstimulated really easily and then that ruins everything for me. So anyone reading my blog, please keep that in mind. If you don't have my issues, it is a wonderful place to ski. It's just really hard for me unless it's empty and quiet.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Regi, I read in your blog about your hot gear bag securing issue at Liberty. LT and I always kept one of those heavy plastic coated cable bike locks in our bag, and would find something to secure our bags to. The cable was 4 feet long, with loops in each end for a combo lock to hook to. Just run the cable through your bag, then wrap in around something you find that won't move. At Breck there was a plumbing pipe we could reach when the bags were on top of the pay lockers.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks CR. The only thing is that I don't know if you can run it through the Classic sized bag which is the one I have. I believe you and LT have the Pro bags and you have figured out a way to run the cable through them. I had remembered you guys saying that and had thought to see if I could figure out a way to do that with mine. The only way I came up with is to run a bike cable through the metal loops that the straps attach to or to the handles. The only thing is that they could easily be cut with a good pair of scissors and all you would lose would be the shoulder straps and handles which could easily be resown. I hope I am not giving any bag thieves any ideas here. But that would be the only way to secure the Classic or Ajax sized bags. With the pro I believe you said you can run the cable through the actual bag and if they were to cut the bag to get it they would destroy the entire bag.

My other thought was to get a 12 volt to 110 house power adapter and carry in my little $10.00 hot stick boot heaters and plug them in for ten minutes to heat up my boots in the lodge and then put them on there. Then I can just put the hot sticks in a locker. I was thinking of ways to figure this out because I will be traveling in a couple of weeks for Special Olympics States Winter Games and I won't be bringing my HotGear bag with me.

I bought a duffle type boot bag where you put one boot in each end of the bag and then you have room in the middle part for your clothes. My Classic Hotgear bag is too small for my boots and three days worth of clothes and I did not want to have to carry a boot bag, a clothes bag and my skis. I will be able to borrow a ski tube. So I got an inexpensive bag where I could carry my boots and all my clothes and toiletries I would need for the trip together in just one medium sized bag. But it's not heated. The local shop near my house gave me a great deal on a little portable dry guy boot and glove dryer/heater that I can stick in the bag and I have my little hot sticks from 5 years ago so I hope they still work.

But if I can figure out a way to lock up the Classic HotGear bag and the Ajax, which I would love to get if I make it to World Winter Games in Austria, in a way that it would take destroying the whole bag to steal it, that would be be great.

And thank you so much for reading my blogs CR. I really appreciate that. You of all people are one that I really want to know every detail of how I am doing with my skiing.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; January 23rd, 2015 at 08:58 PM.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Sorry you had such trials and tribulations at Liberty. While it's not a perfect ski area, it gets the job done for me - and seemingly for all of DC and Baltimore on the weekends!

As for securing your bag in the future, I'd use the bag/basket check on the lower level of the lodge. There's unlimited check-in/check-out for the day, and it works well. As a coach for the resort team, I have a locker on the lower level, so I'm not as in tune to the bag storage needs. Note that when I go to Roundtop or Whitetail, I simply use a cubby or a shelf (I have a medium-large duffel bag that doesn't fit well in some resort cubbies - e.g. Liberty and Whitetail) and go from there. The non-descript look of the duffel tends to keep prying eyes away.

With regard to crowding at Liberty, the backside is often far less crowded than the frontside. The Alpine chair and its midway unloading station are prone to huge queues and frequent shutdowns (I'm not sure that a high-speed quad would help, given the common top unloading area for the frontside and backside). On the east/back side, the twin fixed-grip quads keep queues short. And the run selection out back is fairly good for such a tiny hill (steep tops, more mellow lower parts, with a lot of mix-and-match potential).

But if the loud music is an issue, that makes for rough sailing at Liberty, as they love to blast their tunes at the main base and at the South Pole snack bar. Frankly, I'd rather not have the music at all (I don't equate tunes with skiing), but that's how it goes at many smaller areas these days. If overstimulation is an issue, the three Snowtime resorts aren't the best (though Roundtop is certainly the least unreasonably crowded of the three). Other PA resorts would be better, though a longer drive - places like Blue Mountain, Tussey Mountain, or Blue Knob don't attract quite the same crowds and often have better snow.

I like reading your blogs, BP - keep them (and the skiing) up!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for for the great advice about he bag Songfta.

If I go to Liberty on a non holiday weekday morning, I can really enjoy it. I wanted to stay and ski the backside when I was there but the music from the snack station prevented me from staying. But if they don't play the music and it's not crowded and I am not trying to do drills which require me to have a wider slope, I can really have fun there. Roundtop is perfect for me on weekday mornings when it's quiet. And I am friends with the patrol staff and Ron knows me well so if anyone is playing music that I can't tolerate, like in the parking lot or something, the patrol staff and Ron told me to just let them know and they will take care of it for me so that I can enjoy myself. And if I go early it's usually not a problem.

Hubby and I would love to visit other mountains and we will start with other PA mountains. Hopefully next year we will do Seven Springs. This year, he won't be able to make it with me because we won't have the money to pay for his tickets. He and I were there for a day in the summer of 2010. It was so much fun. I will be skiing there for the first time in a week and a half for the Special Olympics PA State Winter Games. Of course all my expenses are paid for with that. We wanted to have him go and then he and I stay a couple of extra days but we can't afford that this year. Maybe we can do that next year after the games. Other than Roundtop and Liberty he has never been to another mountain to board. One of these days we will have to check out Whitetail as well.

I hear Blue knob is really nice and Hubby has an uncle who skis at Blue mountain so I would like to go there. I have never heard of Tussey. I will have to look them up.

Thank you so much for reading my blogs. Songfta. That is really encouraging. I will definitely keep you guys on top of every day of my skiing. And feel free to give me all the advice you want. Actually Brother told me today that when he was racing, one thing that really helped him was to point his inside hand towards the next gate and that kept him from over rotating his turns so that he could be in a good position to attack the next gate. I am also going to look at Coach Rick's racking DVD again before I go.

Is anybody up for a group skiing event?

Count me in!