Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just getting a little excited!

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just getting a little excited!

For those of you who keep up with my blogs you know that I have my very first Special Olympics ski race coming up next week. It will be the Pennsylvania State Winter Games. Skiing will only be one of many winter sports Special Olympics offers. As far as I know my county is taking a delegation of Alpine skiers and figure skaters.

This is the first step in the qualification process for the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Austria in 2017. To qualify for a world games, you must compete at the state level for the two years prior to the year of the worlds which, just like in the regular Olympics are held every four years alternating summer and winter games every two. So this year, summer of 2015, the Special Olympics World Summer Games will be held in Los Angeles. When you compete in the state games you must win at least one gold medal to qualify for worlds. I think you have to win it in the year preceding worlds but I am not sure. Then they take all the gold medal winners and put them in lotteries by state. Each state is allotted a number of athletes that they are allowed to pick. The athletes are all mixed together by ability level, age, gender, sport, and from that pool, the athletes and alternates are chosen. So for the World summer games in LA only about 13 athletes were chosen from the entire state or Pennsylvania. In the 2013 SO World Winter Games in South Korea, even though my county has the largest SO figure skating program in the country, none of our figure skaters were chosen. And since SO does not have a winter nationals in the US, only summer nationals, the highest level we can compete in for a winter sport is states. So once you have done your two consecutive competitions in your sport of choice for Worlds and you have won at least one gold, it's all up to the lottery.

But I am really excited about these competitions. I would love to represent the US on the US SO Ski Team in Austria so I will just do the best I can do and hope it all works out. And if it does not, I will just be really happy to have done my best and tried and I will be excited for whoever gets to go. But I have been part of many groups and organizations and I can't think of one that I am more proud to be a member of. I love being an SO athlete.

I am getting really excited for my first big ski race and dreaming about the possibilities for the future. Here is a great inspirational clip. It was one of the promotional videos from the 2013 SO World Winter Games in South Korea. If anyone thinks that just because people are intellectually or developmentally disabled they can't be very competitive you might want to look at this video. It will probably make you think again. I know any medal I get at states will be earned. I don't expect it to be easy.

Congratulations on your upcoming races BP. Good job. Be sure to fill us in on your results!!!

http://www.specialolympicspa.org/spo...s/winter-games

Blog Entries
    Snowfan thank you so much. And thank you for posting the link. That is so helpful to me. I had not seen the schedule. Thank you. I will keep you all posted on how I do.

Sounds fun and I hope you have a wonderful time. Would like to be there. So many amazing and courageous athletes in the SO. Special indeed.

Blog Entries
    Thank you SF. I wish you could be there too. The athletes in my county are really superb people. I love being one of them. They are some of the nicest most genuine people I have ever met.

Blog Entries
    Not quite Lindsey Vonn yet but I'll get there. Looks like I could have been much more fore but hey, I'll do better next time. And this was only my very first time ever seeing a real slalom course so I have to be proud of that!

For some reason I could not post these in my blog so I put them here. You can laugh, I still have a long way to go in my technique!

Name:  2375.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  2376.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; February 19th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    I don't know who this skier is but here is a nice shot of the top of our slalom course. Looks like his line and aggressiveness were better than mine. But my skis are actually more parallel and more evenly edged so there!

Name:  2287.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Don't know who this is either but you can see a nice section of the slalom course in this shot sequence as well.

Name:  nice shot of the slalom course2673.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  section of slalom 2 2674.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  section of slalom 3 2675.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  79.3 KB
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; February 19th, 2015 at 02:17 PM.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BP, your technique is excellent. You are bending yours skis with good pressure on the outside ski, your arms are positioned nicely and driving down the hill and you have terrific upper/lower body separation allowing you to edge effectively. Truly a rock star performance.

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    So, BP, in the race course, what matters is the clock, not the prettiness. Faster folks aren't always technically the best skiers, they're just getting a straighter line through the course. As you continue, you'll learn how to reduce the slowing and get closer to the podium.