Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Boots Are You Wearing

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Lange RX 120 with the Surefoot liner foamed to maximum hardness. My feet turned black and blue after the process, but they've maintained the fit for a couple hundred days. Probably have to get something new now because I had surgery to repair the torn Achilles in my right leg. When I did in my left Achilles 20 years ago, I ended up with a thicker tendon after the surgery. These Langes probably need replacing anyway.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Bean boots. The ankle high version. Very waterproof for those mucky watering days, yet breathe well from above on the hot days if worn loose enough. Now going viral I hear as the hot item to be wearing by the teen/college crowd. Bean is sold out of them because of it last I heard. Ever the trend setter I guess. I did it with Carhartt on the ski slopes years ago, now it's Bean. What trend shall I set next?
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Clever, I did forget to use word SKI in the title. Hope all is well with you in Florida. Will be making another road trip this year end of Summer. Regards, Dave
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    It's -23F here in NH right now.
    Bean boots make me remember some pleasures that come from the green season.
    It's a long melt away from now, for us.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bean boots make me remember when we lived in Maine and we had to walk to the school bus stop in the winter in the dark. It was at the end of our street so about a half mile walk. I could not understand why the elementary school bus came down the street and picked up and dropped off the little kids while the middle and high schoolers had to walk to the main road and wait. I had a pair of high Bean boots then. We lived on a dead end street but if the little kid school bus had no problem why couldn't our bus make it? It was the same kind of bus.

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    Tecnica The Agent 130, setup by Nick Blaylock at Mount Snow Bootworks with Intuition liners.
    Atomic Redster Pro 120.

The forefoot is just about perfect. Enough room to be comfy all day long and still good grip. The heel and cuff area, maybe I could use a tad less volume. I have flat feet with slightly above average volume but skinny legs. They boots are new this year. I came off Nordica Dobie 110s. They were getting pretty beat after 7-8 years. Maybe I had a intsy tad more performance in the Dobies.

Only being this boot for 2/3rds of a season, I haven't messed with them. But maybe next year. Maybe I'll want a bit a pad around the ankle. I might even consider aftermarket Intuition liners although the whole process I find intimidating. I looked them up and they make so many model I wouldn't even know who to decide.

-l2t

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
    I looked them up and they make so many model I wouldn't even know who to decide.

-l2t
    You might go with one that actually fits in your boots. I learned that the hard way. They don't all fit. But that should make deciding easier.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    L2T, you may also want to consider ZipFit liners. They have removable/addable padding components to adjust for volume. http://www.zipfit.com/models.html (disclaimer: I am not a boot fitter; the shop I work at sells ZipFit liners)

Quote Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
    Atomic Redster Pro 120.

The forefoot is just about perfect. Enough room to be comfy all day long and still good grip. The heel and cuff area, maybe I could use a tad less volume. I have flat feet with slightly above average volume but skinny legs. They boots are new this year. I came off Nordica Dobie 110s. They were getting pretty beat after 7-8 years. Maybe I had a intsy tad more performance in the Dobies.

Only being this boot for 2/3rds of a season, I haven't messed with them. But maybe next year. Maybe I'll want a bit a pad around the ankle. I might even consider aftermarket Intuition liners although the whole process I find intimidating. I looked them up and they make so many model I wouldn't even know who to decide.

-l2t
    The wrap models have more ankle support than the tongue models; Zipfits are better than Powerwraps for pure ankle retention but they are *tight* up front.

There is a direct analogy with buying your first ski boot - the too big boot. Intuition liner buyers buy a too-little-volume liner. Unless you're in a 10mm fit or less there is no reason to go with Low-volume liners.

So an Intuition selection process for l2t would look like this (if I was doing it):

1- want more ankle hold ergo slight preference for powerwraps unless ease of entry is paramount
    2- don't need significantly more volume for footbeds than in stock liner so *not* Pro type liner
    3- default to medium volume unless <10mm fit

the answer pops out to 'silver regular powerwrap'.

Again, be very very careful when picking not to go too 'low volume'. Just like with too-big ski boots, you can't really fix too low volume, there simply isn't enough material thickness there to mould.
    Last edited by comprex; March 23rd, 2015 at 02:28 PM.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A little feedback on my boots: Fischer RC4 130 Pro. Both shells have developed a small crack just aft of the 2nd buckle (1st = little toe buckle). They are working just fine and I have poked a hole with a hot nail at the inboard ends of the cracks to stop or slow the crack. Fischer doesn't have any more of this year's model in my size so next year I get new boots. Hopefully they'll have the crack problem addressed; I understand it is fairly common in the greenish yellow plastic.