Thread: Had another big first - a little scary but all's good!

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Had another big first - a little scary but all's good!

I fell off the side of the mountain into the trees on Monday. I'm okay and fortunately the head of ski patrol was skiing with me so he was able to rescue me but I learned a great lesson. Never ski the top of Gunbarrel alone and keep a whistle on me at all times. It was a great day though. The details are in my blog entry, day 31, Monday, March 9, 2015. I guess this falls under the category of things we will never tell mom.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; March 11th, 2015 at 05:50 PM.

Home Sweet Home Skier Village Coach mastersracer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like a stimulating experience. I'm glad you are fine.

Blog Entries
    Thank you MR. I am really glad too. I told the supervisors of ski school what happened and they told me that a few years ago a girl died when she fell into the boulders between Gunbarrel and Ramrod. You can never be too careful out there. Even at a tiny ski hill like Roundtop, one wrong move can be fatal.

Stimulating is definitely a word I would use to describe it!

Bought a home Skier Village Coach songfta's Avatar
    Your description of your fall, MP, reminds me of the situation I tried not to get into in January 2014 - when #projectfemur began. I missed the rocks and trees, at least, but I did end up on the edge slope of the trail: out of sight from skiers passing by. The only sign I was there was the ski that released, which was still on the side of the trail.

Glad you're OK!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Songfta. I'm really glad you're ok from your fall too. And I'm glad you're all healed now. If we had lost you in your fall I would have cried a lot.

Heh. On Whitetail's closing day I was skiing the side of Far Side trail, where there is (was) a 6-8 foot glacier of snow with a drop-off to the trees and rocks beyond. To my left was a L6ish intermediate with a staff jacket, making 6 foot turns with 20 foot traverses between them.

I pass on his right. I'm a little bit nervous, there's not much space and a triple fall line here, the trail itself dives down and right into the creekbed + the glacier edge itself is substantial. Did I mention trees and rocks? Ok that's done.

Next thing I hear is a startled yelp to my left and rear. Well, whatevs. Quick glance back at the rocks, nobody's hurt.

So I'm back in the lift maze waiting for others - and I start getting cursed out! Staff jacket dude is mad at me for startling him; he's all over how he has right of way.

It didn't help matters that I started laughing...and that the lifties started laughing when I pointed out that I was pretty much the only thing between SJD and those rocks...