Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey Rick !

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach

Hey Rick !

Hi. I would love to see some more photos of your nursery and the plants you sell. The few photos I have seen give a few clues but the one with Rocky and the little girl showed almost a jungle behind her. I've never been out that way and was wondering what it looks like.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Sure, Garry, I'll be glad to share. Soon as I get a moment I'll post some, stay tuned. Should get to it by the end of the day. Got to go divide and pot some muhly grass right now, and switch the watering zones, and take some lantana cuttings, and trim and fert some white indigo berry, and put some recently shifted myrsine out on the mats and hook up their spitter lines, and,,,, well,,, maybe tonight I'll get the pics up.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Our nursery is situated on 10 acres. It was a nursery for 30 years prior to our buying it, owned and operated by the same person.

It started of as cleared land, it had been a pineapple plantation, but the guy we bought it from planted an assortment of tropical and other interesting plants all over the property, breaking up the 10 acres into several separate areas where he set up irrigation and put mats down to grow the plants. It's all those things he planted that gives the property the look of a tropical garden. Where most nurseries are just bare land, with every square inch covered with mats and sprinklers, and rather hideous to look at, ours is uniquely beautiful, and people like coming just for the relaxing and enjoyable experience of just walking around it and taking in beauty of the grounds.

We have a big pond in the back of the property, over an acre, which we use for watering the plants. Last year I stocked it with blue tilapia, and once their population grows I'll also stock it with large mouth bass to keep their numbers in check. It will be fun when we can go out and catch dinner. Tilapia is suppose to be very good eating, as is the bass.

The nursery is cutting edge green, in that the owner built a water recapture system on it 30 years ago, something people are still not doing much today. The property has a series of connected water capture canals that meander all around the property, each one a bit higher than the last, that work their way back to the pond. Each canal is surrounds by trees and bushes that suck up any nitrogen from the runoff water that enters the canal. By the time the water works it's way back to the pond it is pretty much excess nitrogen free. Very smart, very cool.

Our dog Rocky has the run of the entire property, and self polices himself to not go beyond the properties boundaries. It's quite amazing he does this, I didn't have to do much to teach him this, he more just taught himself. He greats everyone who comes to the nursery, sure that they've come just to see him. He loves when kids come, and loves when people bring their dogs too. We have a horse trail that goes along the edge of our property, and he also loves to go see the horses when they pass by. He's got an amazing life here.

Here are some pictures, to give you a feel of what the nursery looks like.

Name:  Kindergarden,Web.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  MuhlyFire,Web.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  YellowTabebula,Web.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  ShadeTree,Web.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  104.8 KB

www.YourSkiCoach.com

And some more.

Name:  NativeColor,Web.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  JanisTractor,Web.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  BirdOnShoulder,Web.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  RockyLake2,Web.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  RockyTree,Web.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  102.9 KB

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Looking for a house Snow Sport Instructor
    Rocky climbs trees!!!

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    It's beautiful Rick . Very well done. Thank you so much for sharing . What are you biggest challenges now that it is up and running ? Do you market to commercial accounts mostly or walk ins ? I'm guessing if they got money, you got plants but commercial accounts might be the spine that supports the operation .
    The earlier developer of this property made it look like a tropical paradise .
    Did you have to do a lot of clearing and is that pond your irrigation source ?

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Hi garryz

The biggest challenge is the crazy female who keeps trying to rescue plants, grow weird things, etc

Retail sales are more money per plant... wholesale sales tend to be larger amounts, and they tend to have more idea what they are after, come in with a list, load and leave...

We have a nice mix... which keeps things ticking along...

Biggest challenge really is competing with Miami drug laundering 'businesses'. A non inventory(plants die easily) business seems to be a good one to clean up illegal money... If we sold the same plants in North Carolina the price would double(or more)... even northern Florida is better prices... just...

Yes Kneale Rocky climbs trees - he actually likes to SHAKE them the best - he will grab a frond when squirrel is up there and tug...

Moderator Snow Sport InstructorSkier Village Coach LiquidFeet's Avatar
    Rick, is that a mourning dove on your shoulder?