Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Learning to play golf

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Learning to play golf

I had never had a chance to learn golf before but with Special Olympics it's all free so I decided to try it. I never thought I would like it but I really do. It's really hard but I love the concentration in it and learning to isolate body parts. I also love that it's quiet and still and beautiful and I can smell the trees and the air and touch the tree branches and grass. I also like feeling the golf balls and clubs and reading all the things written on the the balls and tees. I even had a ball with the American Airlines logo on it. Hopefully with practice I will get good enough to play a whole game. I love that is is similar to disc golf too which is another game we love.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Hockey is next!!!!!!
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually. Dave, what is so funny about that is that I do want to learn to play hockey! I started figure skating with Special Olympics last year but one of my goals is to actually get good enough as a skater to actually try hockey. In our county Special Olympics only does floor hockey, not ice but I think other places might have ice hockey, I am not sure. But the skating rink where we have it does both and they do lessons in both. So my first step is to just learn the basics of skating. It is a slow process but I am getting there. I can actually make it around with out the wall now! But eventually once I get the skills down I did tell myself that I wanted to try hockey just a little bit just to have the experience of it and to understand the game.

The reason is that Brother is a big hockey fan and he got me interested. Hubby and I are clueless when it comes to the rules and ins and outs of hockey. All I know it that it's a bunch of guys or girls knocking each other about trying to get a puck into the net on the ice. That is pretty much it. And I know a couple of jerseys because whenever I see someone wearing one I ask what team it is and then I call Brother and say, I learned another hockey team! But I figured I could try it a little bit once I can skate and see what it's like. I do not want to get too into it because it is very expensive and there is much more potential for getting hurt. And I don't need to lug a bag around that I can actually fit in. But you never know, I might just surprise you and say, "Guess what I just did?"

I wouldn't be surprised!!

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Golf is a marvelous game. I am not good (I touch a lot of tree branches too with my game) but it is too much fun not to play.

Many similarities to skiing. Like skiing golf is best at high altitude, you can hit the ball farther. Unlike skiing it is best on the groomers. Like skiing it seems to work best (for me at least) with a focused blank mind. Like skiing, there are blacks you don't want to mess with till you are good enough. Like skiing it is easy (but expensive) to find yourself with a quiver. Like skiing practice with intent and do drills. Very much like skiing you can not hold a bad run or a bad hole in your mind. Like skiing if you can get a few good shots in a round, like a few good turns, you will be back.

A lot of towns have learn to play programs through their parks department or at municipal courses. These can be a great way to learn the basics in a group lesson setting.

Most like skiing, enjoy the journey.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    I was a serious golfer for awhile, but finally had to throw in the towel, the frustration was just too much. The windmill got me almost every time.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

And we were a comedian too as I can see. . Good to hear from you Rick.

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    Rick, know what you mean; the killer clown on 18 always ate my ball.

BP, we need an update Lady. Please!
    When nothing goes right; go left.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Stranger - I moved to a country town with a nice golf course and some of the locals convinced me to start learning... Nice pro Ok lessons... I went off and practiced... and practiced... and practiced... He had told me i could do that at home - with practice balls... fine...

I returned to see him and he was very happy with my practice ball hitting... so he gives me a REAL ball to hit(first time ever)... I do something odd and ball goes flying to side... repeat... etc... he says "why did you change the swing?" me "Oh I don't like that 'clunk' feeling" ... he set me to chipping/putting practice with a real ball so I could overcome my fear of impact...

I gave up when all my friends looked like that^ when they found I did not like the feeling of hitting a ball

LT when you hit them right and learn to swing through the ball instead of at them that clunk goes away and it feels sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!! Lars where are you on this topic, if you check in every now and again take a minute to say hey. regards, Dave