Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Learning to play golf

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    nah compared to a plastic ball the real ones feel very "clunk"... I like plastic

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    The putting and chipping was helping - getting a feel for a heavier ball... I just needed to keep at it but moved away...

Looking for an apartment Stranger's Avatar
    LT if you stay with golf, sooner or later you will connect with a swing and there will not be a CLUNK. When you make good contact with an iron there is a soft click no feel of impact. It is a lot like linking two good turns; all the motions just blend, there is no resistance, just natural motion.

If you choose not to stay with golf, that is okay too. No sport is for everyone.
    When nothing goes right; go left.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I have been away for awhile. Lots going on. Thank you for all the encouragement. You guys are great! So here's the update. Hubby found me an amazing set of clubs and a bag at the flea market for $10. I showed them to Brother who used to play and he was blown away by their quality. The guy at the pro shop also gave me some fuzzies to protect my clubs and three new balls since the ones that were in my bag were stale. And he gave me a hot dog!

I have been learning basic skills and have actually managed a few really nice shots. We started our little Special Olympics tournament last week, we have golf on Sundays and in my group, the basic skills group, I am leading by two strokes.

I was nervous because some of the other athletes had some fabulous shots so I did not think I was ahead. But I got a lucky drive and did pretty well of some putts and chips and that put me just ahead. My group does not have golf today because the advanced players, and some of them are really amazing, one of our athletes can play the whole course where we practice in 90, but the advanced players are at a more advanced tournament this week so we will finish ours next week. I wanted to practice since it's free to practice putting at the course and it's between $3 and $11 to practice driving depending on what size basket of balls you get but my car broke down last Monday and I still don't have it back. But I hope to get it back soon and to be able to afford to get it back so that I can practice before next Sunday.

I love learning to play but I do understand the frustration especially if patience is an issue. That's why Brother stopped playing. He was actually pretty good but it just got too frustrating for him. Hopefully everything will work out with my car. I am sure one of the coaches will give me a ride if I don't have my car back because I have never missed a golf practice and I know that they won't want me to forfeit my tournament because of my car. So next week I will let you know how I did.

Thank you for all the encouragement. LT if I can learn it you can too. And plastic balls are cool I guess. I have never hit one so I don't really know. In fact, LT, you actually inspired me. I learned something the other week that made me think of you and knowing you really helped me. I was at practice and my group, the beginners, went on the actual course. We usually will go to one or two holes to learn but this time we played four holes and we did alternate shot where each Special Olympics athlete was paired with a coach and we took turns with the coaches taking shots. My group had about 7 people. One of the coaches had two athletes take turns with him.

At the end of the practice my coach who was partnered with me told me that I had a great attitude and that I was learning well but that I was really frustrating to play with because I was too slow and she kept having to wait for me to catch up when we were walking. This kind of slowness has always been an issue for me my entire life. I mentioned it to my counselor because I was actually pretty embarrassed about it. My counselor explained to me that it's really not my fault and that I should not be embarrassed because what many people don't realize is that some Autistic people deal with proprioception issues. She said that the reason that I am slower than others is that "normal" (for lack of a better word) people don't have this issue. When a "normal" person walks his brain knows how to do it and does not have to figure out every single movement of that walk every single time. That is not 100% accurate because the brain has to figure it out and make the muscles move and all that. Of course this explanation is extremely simplified. But she said that in Autism this all happens on a subconscious level, rather than on an "automatic type level" like it is for most people. She said that every physical movement my body makes in any situation is much more deliberately thought through and figured out compared to a "normal" person. That is why it takes me so much longer to do many things than it does for other people. It literally takes my brain longer to figure out now to execute each physical movement that my body has to make.

I also have a side gaze which I have had all my life which a doctor once told me was also a proprioception issue. But as soon as my counselor told me about that I understood because of what I have learned from you LT. And I know a lot of the amazing things you do LT so it encourages me because I know that if you can do them than I can too.

But I will let you all know how I do at the final day of the tournament next week.
    Last edited by Bushido Princess; August 23rd, 2015 at 08:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    We had the final day of competition today for our county Special Olympics golf tournament. It was really hard but I did great. I got a gold medal in the beginner group (basic skills group) and I won the basic skills group putting competition. The putting competition was a two shot competition. We each got one shot to do two super long putts and whomever got the closest combined shots to the holes won. In the level two group, (there is basic skills, we are like the beginners, then there is level two. They are good enough to play on the course with a unified player (abled athlete like a volunteer or coach) and then there are the level four players who are really good and can play the whole course without any coaching. Some of them are amazing. But in the level two putting competition one of the athletes got a hole in one which is really incredible. I got a couple of really beautiful shots but I got a few misses as well so I only won by a few strokes. In my group, gold, silver, and bronze were only less than four strokes from each other and that is over two days of competition. I am super excited because I am the only person on the team who had never ever played golf before. And yesterday we had our county kayak competition with another PA county and I got a silver in the 500 meter race and another silver in the 200. I was in bronze position in the 200 meters until about the 150 meter mark and at that point the girl from the other county ran out of steam and I was able to just hold on to my sprint to overtake her and hold that lead til the end. So it's been a fun weekend.

State competition for kayaking will be first week of October. So I will be training for that. And then skating and skiing are just around the corner.

Gold medal for golf and putting trophy
    Name:  102_2716.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  93.2 KB

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Congrats, Regi. You're about one of the last souls still hanging around here. I check in every so often, but not much action.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rick. I hope it will pick up during ski season again. I guess I was one of the first ones in and so I am a dedicated die hard. We built this site together so I could never leave it. :0)

I have some amazing news. I just got off the phone with Brent Reitz! He is so cool. I will send you a pm with more details.