Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New drills

New drills

The season down under got off to the worst start in near 60 years but over the past couple of weeks has come good, most lifts and runs open with just to odd rock level with the surface!

I have done a couple of days with two ski buddies, three geriatric guys having a good time rather than drills.

Still I'm encouraged how previous drills now seem almost subconcious and am keeping my fingers crossed looking forward to the weekend hoping to formally do some drills.

I expect it will be going over what I have already done rather than new stuff though.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    That sounds good Hacski

I found that when things become 'normal' rather a feeling like a silly human trick then my skiing changes... at that point I have developed enough innate movement pattern for the skill to become part of my regular skiing.

I guess you are skiing perisher to use the Epic pass option?

Oh yeah LT.

I went last Friday and didn't do too well, just no energy. Reason was apparent by the evening as I succumbed to yet another nasty head cold virus after dinner. Worst winter in years from that angle - probably on account of looking after The Little Guy who also attends day care and thus picks up every virus going around.

Also hitting 64 in June a skiing buddy aged 70 advised that being geriatric one has to pace oneself in the morning and if one has energy in the legs left over then that equates into another couple of runs in the afternoon.

Weather wise Friday was good though with Saturday, when I decided to head home instead of heading back to the slopes, being atrocious: Most lifts on wind hold and rain on the slopes, blowing horizontal said MrsH who was staying on snow with a group of females in health professions and they just stayed in the accommodations.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Yeah been a bad season for coldy/fluey things from what I can gather... people who say they never catch them been sick sick sick...

Hanging around kids is always a way to catch more...

I'll let you in on my secret weapon. When I skied every day for a month I tended to hit flat spots... Eventually I worked out I needed to pretend I was a training athlete. So I took to taking a recovery meal after my skiing was done. For me the easiest quick acceptable(combination of protein and Hi GI carb wise) thing I could consume within 30mins of stopping was a bowl of cocopops! Chocolate milk works well too - that is what they suggest on AIS these days... when I was doing it they had some protein/carb drink for the kids they tested in the article...

It amazed me how much better I tended to be on average after starting that system.

Worth trying as it replaces muscle glycogen so you have more energy the next day.

Somehow I started a new drills thread but it will probably be revisiting the old ones with new drills waiting till back in Breckenridge.

Stop press: MrsH says she will tell school she won't be back that first week of February, when she just gives one lecture anyway. If need be she'll record it. Reason being she will come with me to Summit County. Without you knoW Who.

Just like the good old days.

Just need to call the airline and jump through the hoops needed to change the flights but still save some money by getting some use out of the air miles.

Anyway back to drills I'm hoping to get to the slopes Saturday a week away and drill more balance stuff.

Where I found the drills on DVD2, which I pretty well got the hang of in Breckenridge last visit, popped into my movement was on hitting a steeper pitch of very scraped off hardpack and just did two or three deliberately skidded turns rather than trying to exert pressure only on the downhill big toe edge to hold a more conventional turn, which would be difficult to hold. That, plus a tiny smidgin of inside leg balance in the skid made for a much more comfortable feel in that situation. Sort of reversing your and CR's hint LT that to get on top of the inside leg balance I had to accept a bit of a skid in the turn rather than rushing it.

I never got back to the slopes to move on to new drills (for me). Worst winter for heavy colds in town for lots of people me too, heavy congestion and general lethargy, certainly making the idea of the alarm at 4-4:30AM for a long day unappealing.

Last cold nearly done but over next couple of weeks we shall be getting ready for a vacation over late Sep/early Oct and by the time we are back the lifts will be mostly closed down.

So the new drills shall have to wait until I am back on the gentle wide near deserted slopes of Breckenridge in late Jan into Feb.

That trip looks like being our US/Canada swansong as we move into semi-retirement and switch to less exy vacations at that time of year, i.e. building sandcastles with the grandkids at the coast, about two hours away.

So I'm hoping I can manage to get the inside leg lateral balance drills from DVD1 under my belt that upcoming trip for after that skiing will revert to how it used to be, i.e. just a few day trips a year, maybe an overnight if we are lucky.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    HS, I'm still hoping to send LT out to ski with you in Summit County. Will keep you posted.
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Well finally we might be getting to do new drills, by which I mean new for each of us. Old hat for others though. We have seven days at Breckenridge to finish up our vacation with skiing and some snow is forecast. The idea is we return home with MrsH working the inside tap drills and I do the last section of Basic Balance, i.e. the combined fore/aft & lateral. I will be happy with that as when I received the DVDs I decided DVD1 and DVD2 would be realistic for me and only ever bought the laminated plastic cards for these DVDs.

I'm not doing video or pics anymore apart from the odd one or two, just emailed back home.

This time in Nth America its just MrsH and I spending time together with lots of days in the car. We had two weeks in the PNW visiting people we met through skiing and had two mornings at Stevens Pass in rather poor visibility in the first week, staying in Everett WA. Then we spent six days in a round trip to Bend OR and had a morning at Mt Bachelor, beautiful there, heading back to Tacoma before flying to Denver Thursday. Being a sucker for a carrot to upsize we spoiled ourselves and took an Infiniti QX60 SUV for the week. How can I return home to my Honda Jazz after this? We couldn't waste such a fine vehicle on I-70 to Summit County return so forwent a day on the slopes (or bumper to bumper I-70) and took the long way round via Colorado Springs, and Woodland Park the way CR and LT used. The road was bone dry and there was little snow. At first Hwy 24 reminded me of Oak creek Canyon leading into Sedona in Arizona but then higher up with little snow around until Lake George it resembled the countryside around the southern part of the ACT where we live. And we also have a Lake George, mostly dry these days. But then we crested the pass and the white plain with main range in the distance was sure different. A final reminder of the antipodes was the switch back descent on 9 down from the Hoosier Ridge area, awfully similar to the Crown Range Road descent down into Queenstown NZ which is narrower and sharper but snow would be on 9 much more often.

Tonight it's reviewing DVD1 and we hope to get a good day drilling in tmrw.

Well it is fingers crossed for getting back to the drills which I had set for myself to master, well at least become half competent in before I just relax back into my level achieved. That didn't happen in our last and final ski vacation to Nth America last January/February but I hope conditions this coming southern winter may allow me to have three days on the local slopes mid week and out of the school holiday period, when even mid-week crowds can be impossible.

At this stage though it is looking doubtful that there will be any worthwhile snow due to the current El Nino which in Australia means very severe high pressure systems sit over the cold waters off the south east of the continent blocking any systems coming up from Antartica which bring our colder systems and instead force them away to the South East. Maybe there might be a last minute trip to the south island of New Zealand. The Southern Lakes district in NZ is roughly equivalent to Mt Bachelor / Mt Hood in Oregon in terms of distance from the equator whereas the Oz ski fields are more equivalent to Mammoth / Lake Tahoe, but each are at much lower altitude (c6000 ft ASL) and have the relatively warm Southern Ocean between the ski fields and Antartica vis a vis say c8000 ASL for the US areas mentioned plus freezing cold Canada between them and the Artic.

Our autumn has been breaking records for the warm weather with, for example, Little Tiger's Melbourne having just experienced its warmest April night since records began when it was founded 160 years ago. Our area is experiencing maximum temperatures at almost summer levels.

Still fingers crossed but any skiing will be a last minute arrangement.

Drills are an interesting thing. A well meaning friend offered the advice that I should forget about them and just get out there and throw myself into the deep end. He referred to comments from Canadian Level IV ski instructors plus high profile Canadian skiers including a former World Cup champion to the effect that 'endless repetition' of drills were counter-productive to the progression of intermediates beyond the dreaded 'intermediate plateau'.

I always look for points of reconciliation myself, seeing for instance points where CR's approach to ski improvement can be differentiated and also reconciled with alternative methodologies such as, for example those promoted by Lord Voldermort.

So also in this case where the Canadian ski personalities and CSIA Level IV instructors mentioned would be coming from is their view of drills, which is that of professional skiers. Such skiers who drill until they never get it wrong. However the typical skier stuck on the intermediate plateau, such as myself, approaches drills from below: One drills until one gets it right, and then moves on to the next level, with brief recaps of levels previously achieved, which might take about an each day. So it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Shall we ever do another Nth American ski vacation? Maybe back to Sun Peaks BC if MissH invites us to join her there, avec our grandson(s), her nephews, the oldest aged 2y:3mths right now and who I must introduce to snow play this season, El Nino permitting

He is mesmerised by the videos of Auntie MissH on snow and Babar is certainly looking forward to taking him to the nursery slopes as soon as he is up to a long day in the car and slopes.