Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Recommendations for All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I looked at all the relevant threads I could find, but didn't come across an answer.

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 165lbs
    Ability: Expert (If we're being honest with each other, "Advanced")
    Location (skiing): Southwestern Colorado (exclusively)
    Days on the Snow: 6-10/year

I spend 75% of my time on moguls, but 15% of the time I end up skiing through some crud and tracked out powder because the folks I ski with get tired of moguls all the time.

If I'm ever lucky enough for a powder day, I'll rent some fat things. I never go fast on the groomers, so I don't need stability at speed or long, GS turns.

So I'm looking for an all-mountain (~80-90mm underfoot) ski that I will really like in the bumps and not hate in the crud.

I get the impression that the type of ski that works well in the moguls depends a lot on how the skier attacks the moguls. I'm trying to improve, but I know I'm 31 and only ski a week or two a year, so I'll never be a zipper linin' world cupper.

Here's one video[/HTML] of me skiing down a blue mogul run, here's another.

My research suggests I want a torsionally stiff ski, with a soft tip and tail, and traditional camber if possible. Going by that, I'm looking at the following:

Blizzard Bushwacker
    Scott The Ski
    K2 Shreditor
    Salomon Q-90
    Nordica NrGy90(?)
    Dynastar Powertrack 89(?)

If you have any opinions or suggestions for other skis, please let your voice be heard.

Thanks.
    Last edited by CS2-6; December 21st, 2015 at 04:55 PM.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    had the bushwackers and theyskiedwell everywhere even in foot deep powder. Another great choice is the FischerMotive 86. Mountedwith aFischer Attack 13 binding it Isa great onetrick pony.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Thanks Dave. I'll check those out for sure. The Bushwacker is definitely in the running for the best option. I just read about the FischerMotive actually. I'm a little concerned it might be a little too stiff for hard, skied-off bumps, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Looking for an apartment Snow Sport Instructor
    I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice to rule out all mountain rockered (tip and tail) skis. They tame moguls quite nicely, especially with your style. I would consider the Rossi Experience 83 at about the 180 cm length. Cheap all mountain ski, good in moguls.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    The Bushwacker is areal good choice. I enjoyed them. Only really sold them due to the year I had to take offdue toRotator cuff surgery. The Motive 86 is surprisingly not as stiffs one would think. Excelsat all terrain and holds an incredible edge on any groomed. Sorry for the typos something is wrong with keyboard.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice to rule out all mountain rockered (tip and tail) skis. They tame moguls quite nicely, especially with your style. I would consider the Rossi Experience 83 at about the 180 cm length. Cheap all mountain ski, good in moguls.
    Thanks Pierre. I thought I had read somewhere that the Ex83 was a pretty stiff carver. I'll have to look more into it.

As far as rockers go, I thought most of the skis on my list were rockered??

Quote Originally Posted by daveski7 View Post
    The Bushwacker is areal good choice. I enjoyed them. Only really sold them due to the year I had to take offdue toRotator cuff surgery. The Motive 86 is surprisingly not as stiffs one would think. Excelsat all terrain and holds an incredible edge on any groomed. Sorry for the typos something is wrong with keyboard.
    Awesome, Dave. Another vote for the Bushwacker. I'll dig into the Motive 86 a little further though. Thanks.

So I rented Scott's The Ski at WC this season, and I found it was surprisingly stiff. I then got on a pair of Volkl Kinks (171cm) and loved them:

https://youtu.be/vmLsmSAsNnw
    https://youtu.be/jmyKz-iONrk

Maybe because they were shorter than I've been on in years, but I think it's probably due to the flex and mild sidecut. Anyway, I felt like I was just starting to approach real mogul technique.

Speaking of technique, please feel free to offer any critiques, I'll take nothing personally.

Well, here I am again. I figured I would resurrect this old thread rather than post a new one.

As per the general consensus of advice from last time, I decided against buying skis and put that money towards lift tickets (very much worth it), and a couple mogul lessons (less worth it).

But, because of the changing availability of skis at the rental shops I frequent (see below), I'm thinking about buying skis again. Basically, the skis I like aren't terribly well stocked in rental shops. Shops that have any usually have the Kinks, but they're all getting a little old (5 seasons now), and they were a soft "freestyle" ski out of the box. And if a shop has a second model, it's usually the Smash7s, which are newer, but set up weird (see below). But, if any of yall still think my money would be better spent on elsewhere, just let me know.

Skier stats, preferred conditions, and "style" haven't changed since the Original Post.

Last time, some folks on other forums said "just get mogul skis and deal with them in conditions they're not designed for". I was originally hesitant to take this approach because I'd been on the Volkl Mogul Wall and absolutely hated them, in the backseat the entire day. Last season; however, I tried a pair of 4FRNT Originators and absolutely loved them on some skied off blue bumps. I dunno if I got better or if the Mogul Walls are that much stiffer than the Originators. And I'm not sold on the idea that a pair of dedicated bump skis would make a good single quiver for someone like me, but I'm more open to the idea now. Going by that, here's the "short" list of contenders:

Line Blend
    Line Honeybadger - may be too flexy
    K2 Shreditor - some reviews suggest they may be too rockered
    Rossignol Scratch - skied an old pair of these (naked lady silhouette) and liked them (but they were pretty flexed out and the snow was pretty skied off), but not sure I'd enjoy them in any sort of powder or crud
    Fat-ypus D'root
    Fat-ypus G'Butter
    4Frnt Vandal
    4Frnt Originator
    JSkis The AllPlay
    Armada ARV86/ARV96
    Moment PB&J
    Lib-Tech Backwards
    Head Caddy
    Head Framewall
    Salomon Rocker2 - some reviews suggest they're stiffer than I'd like
    Blizzard Bushwacker - everyone says these are the best all-mount mogul-bias skis, but it seems that the stiffness varies wildly year to year; they're returning for 2018, but I've got no idea how flexible they'll be
    Salomon TNT - metal reinforced? if so, they're probably too stiff for my "style"
    Volkl Kink - Skied these multiple years and liked them a lot, but maybe too soft in the tails, seemed like whenever my weight gets back, the tails kinda collapse and I crash (unintentional tail butter?)
    Rossignol Smash7 - I liked these except that the breaks on the rental sticks are too wide and cross eachother, basically tying my laces together; if it hadn't happened to me about two times per day, I would've never thought it was possible

Thanks, yall.

DELETED
    Last edited by CS2-6; August 4th, 2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Double post