Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 6 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacroiliac Joint

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar

Sacroiliac Joint

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with SI Joint pain? If so, what steps have they taken to eliminate it or make it not so discomforting? I am a Landscaper and have been experiencing pretty sharp lower back pain for a few years mostly due to compression. My Chiropractor does everything under his power to release the joint but to no avail. I have also tried deep tissue massage,not. I can for the most part ignore it while skiing,golfing, and at work but am looking for any advice anyone might be able to offer short of an MRI. Thanks in advance, Dave

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    Yes Dave - suffered that for a few years after an injury at work....

First step was an SIJ belt- to help stabilise....

Best treatment AFAIK is working on the core , stretches, and nerve gliding etc(I had a nerve would get trapped in the muscle as it spasmed to stabilise the joint)...

I have a weird - bend and lift leg exercise, hamstring bridges etc... pretty much core, hamstrings, glutes

Did you see your Primary Doctor before taking these steps? Did you have x-rays or an MRI?

saw the hospital doc and physio(I worked at the hospital) and the local doc and physio... the "give away" from the local physios view point was that gliding actions - skiing and skating were fine but walking was almost impossible... so he tried out the belt - which relieved the pain... As far as he was concerned that was all the proof he needed...

Beware of x-rays for backs... (not that they are not useful to eliminate bad things but...) IIRC the aussie physios did a study and given a bunch of x-rays of people, of whom half had back pain and half did not, a bunch of experts had not much success at picking who was in pain... Testing core strength and order of muscle firing gave a much better result at finding those in pain... You need to fire stabilisers before firing any moving muscles was the summary AIUI...

My physio used to make a living teaching professional athletes with back issues how to use and fire core and stabiliser muscles...

oh as an example... I had a couple of MRI's of my hip flexors... which included spine segments of course... as physio pointed out I have degeneration of some discs etc - but so does almost everyone my age... the occurence of that does not indicate the problem areas for me... just that I'm not as young as I once was...

The reason I asked about x-rays is because I was told I would probably be required to get them before an MRI. My insurance does not cover an MRI though and I am cheap when it comes to myself.Can I get one of those belts without seeing a Doc?

I'm glad to see this thread, as I've had an ache/pain in my hip/lower back for months. I've blamed everything from our couch to my bad posture to the mattress (which is only 2 years old) and I can't get rid of it. I've had my chiro "release" the joint oodles of times but the pain never leaves. I hate the thought of going to another orthopod for xrays, etc., so if there are things I can do on my own, I'm all for it.

So, LT, if you have some specific exercises/stretches/anythings that will help release the joint and strengthen whatever needs to be strengthened, please do share! Thanks!

OK - I'll go see if I can spot the physio - he lives across the road... I just do what he draws on my little exercise sheets(stick figures)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tiger View Post
    OK - I'll go see if I can spot the physio - he lives across the road... I just do what he draws on my little exercise sheets(stick figures)
    Awesome!!

Ok I have a stick figure drawing for you guys and some info.

He says that real SIJ problems are fairly rare - they are often misdiagnosed lower back issues(like my hip issue in Ireland where I had a trapped nerve that needed releasing from the muscles but she was madly making me do stuff that exacerbated it - I have an unusual nerve configuration that lead her to a wrong conclusion she did not ever question despite the 'treatment' causing a worsening problem)

Anyway - seems most true SIJ issues are due to tight glutes pulling on joint... (matches my memory from the girl physio up the coast and the physio that diagnosed me)
    I have the exercise that my physio gave me during my episode (others used similar but different stretches)...

If this does not help relieve pain - then get more work on checking lower back was the answer...
    If this works then you have part of the solution

Lie on back with legs extended.
    Lift one leg by bending knee and hold at knee and ankle(2 hands) and gently pull leg so that knee moves towards opposite shoulder. You won't get there! The ankle will be pointed to the opposite side - so across the stretched out leg.
    This should stretch deep in the glutes... hold the stretch (20-30secs)and do a few at a time... Start with a few times a day and cut back to less as they work...
    If these relieve pain - then you probably have tight glutes causing an SIJ issue