Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roundup? Save your money.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar

Roundup? Save your money.

Tis the season, isn't it. Weeds everywhere you don't want them. People are getting pretty familiar with the product named Roundup. You can spray it on weeds in driveways, gardens, around trees, along fence lines, in sidewalk cracks, anywhere you want to clean things up. It kills the root, and doesn't hurt the soil, just the weed. Just don't get it on any vegetation you want to keep, because it's an indiscriminate killer. Translation, it's not for killing weeds in lawns.

The biggest problem with the stuff is that it's so dang expensive. Not anymore. Go to Walmart and buy their store brand version called Eliminator. The main killing ingredient is the same, and it's a fraction of the price. In my business I have to do a lot of weed spraying, and I've found that Eliminator works just as well Roundup. Walmart, my profit margin thanks you!
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Hey Rick, try bleach straight up,full strength. Works wonders and it is only a buck a gallon. I am sure it is not as strong as some of the industrial stuff but for Harry Homeowners you can't beat it. Just for kicks and giggles try some at your house you might be pleasantly surprised. Regards, Dave
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach ant's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Walmart are taking on Monsanto? Phew. I'm pretty sure Monsanto still hold the copyright for Glyphosate. The price of glyphosate went up when the Chinese temporarily stopped production of it while the Beijing olympics were on, but word was the Indian factories coming on line would see the price drop again, but I don't think it did.

Very useful for grasses and things that not much else will kill. I prefer to use selective herbicides on my place, that don't kill grasses, so I mix broadleaf-specific poison mixes up, and just use glyphosate for weed grasses like Serrated Tussock.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    daveski - my mum just takes the boiling water from the kettle to tackle our paths...

Home Sweet Home Snow Sport Instructor Lars's Avatar
    Hey Rick, does it work on poison ivy and poison oak?

When we built our house here in the woods, I used mega gallons of Roundup to kill off the Poison Ivy. Now, after 20 years here, it's starting to creep up again.
    all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    Lars, seriously, try household bleach on a patch of it(pour it in a spray bottle) especially now while it is nice and hot. See what it does for you. At a buck a bottle it will go far.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by daveski7 View Post
    Hey Rick, try bleach straight up,full strength. Works wonders and it is only a buck a gallon. I am sure it is not as strong as some of the industrial stuff but for Harry Homeowners you can't beat it. Just for kicks and giggles try some at your house you might be pleasantly surprised. Regards, Dave
    Yeah, Dave, that works well. Not sure, but I think the per gallon price of Eliminator I think is even cheaper. And straight bleach is tough on plastic pressure sprayer components, if left to sit in it.

Little Tiger's mom has the cheapest option, with her hot water method. Touches on an invention I contemplated tackling a while back: a pressure sprayer that would boil the water you put in it. So green.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Hey Rick, does it work on poison ivy and poison oak?

When we built our house here in the woods, I used mega gallons of Roundup to kill off the Poison Ivy. Now, after 20 years here, it's starting to creep up again.
    Round-up has a heavy duty version that's designed to kill brush type plants. I believe they list poison ivy/oak as things it kills. I don't believe Walmart store brand has a a comparable to it. I'll check the Eliminator label to see if those guys are listed.

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Walmart are taking on Monsanto? Phew. I'm pretty sure Monsanto still hold the copyright for Glyphosate. The price of glyphosate went up when the Chinese temporarily stopped production of it while the Beijing olympics were on, but word was the Indian factories coming on line would see the price drop again, but I don't think it did.

Very useful for grasses and things that not much else will kill. I prefer to use selective herbicides on my place, that don't kill grasses, so I mix broadleaf-specific poison mixes up, and just use glyphosate for weed grasses like Serrated Tussock.
    The USA patent expired in 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Bought a time share Snow Sport Instructor
    Blog Entries
    Probably have to maintain high consumer prices because Monsanto practically gives it away for the second and third application on GMO crop fields when first application isn't effective eliminating the new sprouting of a prior gmo crop. Now days a corn field is often oversprayed 3 times with roundup to get rid of the pesky soybean sprouts. And then there's some additional pesticides...