Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roundup? Save your money.

Bought a time share Snow Sport Instructor
    Blog Entries
    For poison oak that we don't mechanically remove, spray designed to kill blackberry and thorny bushes works far better and cheaper than round up.

Bought a home Skier Village Coach ant's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Glyphosate is most effective on green material, not so great on woody weeds. If you're killing blackberry and woody things, the best method if using roundup is to cut them back to the ground, then when the new growth sprouts, hit that hard with roundup/glyphosate. It sucks the poison back into the plant, and hopefully works through the whole system. But for woody and broadleaf weeds I prefer metsulpheron mixed with MCPA... cheaper, doesn't kill the grasses, takes longer but very effective. I use a large backpack for spot spraying, and a 50 litre tank on a trolley with an electric pump for broadspraying (patterson's curse etc).

Roundup is very effective on St Johns Wort, which is odd as it's quite woody, but you do lose a lot of grass even if carefully spot spraying. There's some more specific poisons for St Johns but they are very expensive.

Then there's good old Diquat, which is like a chemical flame-thrower, but I've been told by a few agronomists now that it's really not a good idea to use it in a backpack! And it's completely non-selective.

I have my own seat in the pub Skier Village Coach Coach Rick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post

Roundup is very effective on St Johns Wort
    A factoid that has guys across the country are screaming out in panicked pleads, "please, don't kill it!"
    YOUR SKI COACH - Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier

* Instructional DVDs * Technical Articles * On Hill Coaching

www.YourSkiCoach.com

St Johns Wort is a declared weed here, legally you have to control it or the local Council can send people in to kill it, and charge you for it. Causes photosensitivity in stock that eat it, and be toxic to them in large amounts. It's rife in our area, it's everywhere. I've been hitting it for years, and I still can't eradicate it.

ant, you must be on a rural lease then.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agricultur.../st-johns-wort

Rural, but not a lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tiger View Post
    daveski - my mum just takes the boiling water from the kettle to tackle our paths...
    MrsH's older sister who is active in coastcare hates roundup and has MrsH agin it too so I use it sparingly and she had told us about the boiling water method. With spring time here and the weeds taking over I'm under orders to not use Roundup and when I occasionally do am in trouble getting told our dog will walk through there and get cancer. But where the area to be weeded is flat and will let the boiling water pool, e.g. a gravel path we have, the boiling water works well. My boss at work whose father used to work outdoors as a gardner or landscape contractor reckons I should'nt be concerned though, just keep the animal off it while it dries over those first two hours. But I shall look through this thread for some guidelines in case I'm in trouble as this morning MrsH pinned me down on having used roundup on one of the areas where she walks our dog Belle through after getting home from her morning walk.