Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about detuning tips and tails with shaped skis.

Question about detuning tips and tails with shaped skis.

I have a question about detuning skis (for those wondering, Detuning is when you actually lightly dull the edges of the tips and tails to allow the ski to slide a bit to help with turning).

Having said that, I was told by a ski shop years ago to never detune the tips and tails of the modern shaped ski. So what are your thoughts on this anybody?

Also is there any advantage to having a hand tune as apposed to a machine tune (and I mean the electronically controlled ones, not the belt sander system)

Thank You,,

Toby

PS> If it matters, I have a Fischer slalom ski, 12 meter radius.

My horse knows his own way home Little Tiger's Avatar
    I don't detune my edges Toby... but I do have a radial base bevel grind on some of my skis... This means that while the area underfoot has 0.5 degree base bevel the tip and tail has 0.7 or so

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I also don't detune anything anymore. Possibly when I tune my 84 year old mother in law I might a little, but otherwise I want to be able to use the whole edge tip to tail.

LT, I like the varying base bevel idea, have played with it once or twice. I could even see going to a 2 or even 3 degree base bevel at the tip and/or tail of a ski being used in a more all-mountain situation. I know extreme skiers that do that.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    SMJ, if you are tuning your mother in law it is called tuning out, not detuning. Ladies, this was just a joke.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Blog Entries
    I meant tune her skis, not her!
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Home Sweet Home Ski Patrol daveski7's Avatar
    My bad.
    When you are winning, don't let up. When you are losing, don't give up.

Blog Entries
    Actually I thought it was pretty good.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That was really funny Dave! I always detune my tips and tails. I remember when Hubby's board was not detuned, he was falling all over the place.

I have my own seat in the pub Bushido Princess's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can play around with it, detuning more or less every time you tune and wax and see how you like it. Some people prefer a little more, others a little less or none at all. Just be careful not to take too much metal off. I use a soft gummy stone to not take too much off. But just play with it and see what works for you.

I always detune my tips and tails. I remember when Hubby's board was not detuned, he was falling all over the place.
    Hi BP,

That makes sense. Unless you have good balance and a decent handle with edge changes I could easily see how not having your skis detuned could cause this situation. I'm just going to take them to a local shop first and see how they are even set up. I think they have only had two tuneups (minus waxing) since I bought them.

Toby